• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW TO: Change bootup/shutdown animations and sounds

Don't worry about it, we are here to help :). As for the boot animation, I'm assuming you have a kernel that allows changing of boot/shutdown animations since you changed the shutdown. The bootanimation.zip can be put in either /data/local or /system/media, however I only included /data/local because I've been told it's easier since the phone looks in that folder first. Did you make sure the .zip file is named "bootanimation.zip"? What boot animation are you trying to use? Did you follow the directions exactly? If not, detail the process you went through and perhaps that may shine some light on something.

The kernel that you currently run must allow for boot animations/shutdowns to be able to be changed. This is why you can't change it in the stock kernel, because I don't believe that it allows it to be changed IIRC.

When you remove the default animation, do you actually delete it? What exactly do you do when you say remove? Sorry for asking a seemingly obvious question, but if it is still on the phone's memory somewhere I'd imagine it would just search for it until it found the file(s).

On most android phones you can place the animation in either system/media or data/local and it will play. I assumed it would work that way on the fascinate but apparently Samsung has messed with it. When I say remove I mean either delete or rename. I've noticed that there is a file called bootsamsung.qmg that when you rename it the default Samsung animations also stops and you just get a blank start up. I'm betting that file has some info in it that points to the animation or even possible that's the animation.

I'd like to see this work with out a custom kernel myself.

Upvote 0
On most android phones you can place the animation in either system/media or data/local and it will play. I assumed it would work that way on the fascinate but apparently Samsung has messed with it. When I say remove I mean either delete or rename. I've noticed that there is a file called bootsamsung.qmg that when you rename it the default Samsung animations also stops and you just get a blank start up. I'm betting that file has some info in it that points to the animation or even possible that's the animation.

I'd like to see this work with out a custom kernel myself.

Oh okay. Yeah, I noticed the bootsamsung.qmg file as well but I wasn't sure to what effect it had on the boot animation so I didn't mess with it. If the default Samsung animation stops when you rename it then I would assume that it is the stock boot animation file, but who knows. Did you try to run a custom animation after renaming the bootsamsung.qmg file while running the stock kernel?

Upvote 0
Oh okay. Yeah, I noticed the bootsamsung.qmg file as well but I wasn't sure to what effect it had on the boot animation so I didn't mess with it. If the default Samsung animation stops when you rename it then I would assume that it is the stock boot animation file, but who knows. Did you try to run a custom animation after renaming the bootsamsung.qmg file while running the stock kernel?

I don't think I renamed the animation bootsamsung.qmg. More testing is in order..
Hold on I'll be right back.....

Nope unless its a different format, which considering its .gmg extension its highly likely

Upvote 0
I don't think I renamed the animation bootsamsung.qmg. More testing is in order..
Hold on I'll be right back.....

Nope unless its a different format, which considering its .gmg extension its highly likely

Yeah, I'm really late responding to this, but I haven't ran the stock kernel in ages. So I'm not sure if you found a way to run a custom ani on the stock kernel since. From what I have gathered though it seems you can stop the stock ani by renaming the bootsamsung.qmg but cannot run a custom ani on the stock kernel, even by doing this (correct me if I'm wrong).

bump for a great thread, and one i couldnt find earlier :)

Thanks nitsuj :)

Reactions: nitsuj17
Upvote 0
So I was trying to put in a new shutdown animation last night but found that I couldn't move or delete the original (and by original I simply mean the ones currently there) images. Every time I tried removing them from the folder, they'd just get replaced right away...any ideas?
Are you using root explorer? this wont work with just astro

Upvote 0
So I downloaded a couple different boot animations and tried getting them to work by placing them in /data/local but they do not work. I still get the samsung/verizon bootup.

I am running DJ05/JTSuperClean rom/ Stupidfast 1.54 stable kernel.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that stupidfast supports custom boot animations. Am i wrong?

If I am wrong, i'll switch to one of JT's. Is JT's 12/12 test kernel non-voodoo? I want to stick with non-voodoo kernels for a couple weeks to make sure I don't have problems with DJ05.

Also, if a kernel doesnt support custom boots, what will happen if you replace the system boot file with a custom zip?

Oh, and if someone has the time, what location is the system bootup animation located in? I know it's posted elsewhere, and I will look for it when i have time, but figured I'd ask meanwhile in case someone can take 30 secs to answer.

Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
So I downloaded a couple different boot animations and tried getting them to work by placing them in /data/local but they do not work. I still get the samsung/verizon bootup.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that stupidfast supports custom boot animations. Am i wrong?

If I am wrong, i'll switch to one of JT's. Is JT's 12/12 test kernel non-voodoo? I want to stick with non-voodoo kernels for a couple weeks to make sure I don't have problems with DJ05.

Also, if a kernel doesnt support custom boots, what will happen if you replace the system boot file with a custom zip?

Oh, and if someone has the time, what location is the system bootup animation located in? I know it's posted elsewhere, and I will look for it when i have time, but figured I'd ask meanwhile in case someone can take 30 secs to answer.

Thanks guys.

i dont use geeknik kernels, but i know some earlier dj05 revisions did not support boot animations

Upvote 0

Thanks guys.

try putting it in /system/media

Upvote 0
maz! hadnt see you around in awhile :eek:

Yeah, I've been away for what seems like an eternity :eek: Away from here and irc, though I've been popping up in irc more as of late. I've been missing out though, I needed to come back :D

As for the StupidFast kernels, the earlier DJ05 ones don't support custom boot/shutdown ani's. I haven't tried the most recent (12.15 or 12.19) to see whether they do or not, but I will try it as well.

Speaking of the animations, does anyone know where to find the animation of the droid with a circle being traced around him that was included in JT's non-voodoo kernel that's in ROM manager? I sort of like that one and it's one that I could add to the original post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones