• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to change keystore of my application which is already on android market

Hi,
I have an application on android market which is signed with my keystore, this application is a paid one, But now i have same application with some restricted features and this app is Free. both the apps are on android market. But the problem is I signed both Paid and Free apps with same KeyStore. Now i want to change keystore of one of the app. How do i do this.
Please help me.

You can't change the keystore after your first upload and publication to the market, as this is checked when you upload updates to the market.

What I'd do is keep the paid one with the keystore you originally used (nothing worse than upsetting paying customers).

Delete your free one and resubmit with a new keystore certificate. It's still gonna annoy some of the downloaders but because it's free they can download your alternate version quite easily. In fact make a comment on your original free one that it is to be replaced with your new one, before you delete it. Maybe leave it up for a week or so before pulling the plug.

I think this might be in the wrong section too, as it's more of a developer question.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for ur reply.
Can u tell me how do i show message like "Its going to be change in a week" to my Customer? Is there any feature of giving message on android market or should I give a build of free version(with older keystore only) and In that build give this message?
and in case I have to manage it in my app what if some user does not update to new build,
because in current build i have not mentioned any message, so those user will not able to see that message.
Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0
Regardless of what you do, you need to put it in the description of your app on the market. I know you only get 325 characters, but at least they will see it.

Next, I'd update your existing (old keystore) app to display the message in a dialogue box, a new view or even a very simple toast message that pops up when you start your app. Personally I think a dialogue is best as it looks more professional and you can get a lot more information into it.

Cheers :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones