• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to change text tone

Blaznlow

Nov 23, 2009
I've been reading on this forum for a lil while but never figured out how to add a custom text tone I tried changing the notification but for some reason it does not change the text tone no matter what notification I select. Am I doing something wrong? I already downloaded ringdroid but I kinda gave up and figured I would just ask you guys

If there is like a lil guide to customizing the hero if u could please provide me with a link so I will not have to ask no more stupid questions in the future

Thanks in advance
BLaznlow

Go to your sd card and make the folders alarms and notifications where the ringtone folder is and drag what you want into the folders. The phone should recognize the folders.

should be:

/sdcard/MEDIA/ringtones <- for ringtones
/sdcard/MEDIA/notifications <- for notifications for txt

that's what I got from reading around, hope it helps! :)

Upvote 0
You can change the 'notifications' sound by going to:

Settings>Sound & Display>Notification Settings

It won't be just for texts, it'll be for whatever you have your phone set to notify you on. I have mine set for texts, missed calls, voice-mails and reminders. I disabled it for e-mails, I prefer to check my e-mail a few times a day, I don't need to be notified every time. ;)

Upvote 0
I've had a Motorola Devour for a week now and I kept changing the "notification" ringtone... but the text sound would not change. Thanks to this forum, I found the text notification settings under Messaging -> menu button -> messaging settings ->text messaging ->text messaging settings -> select ringtone. It's been driving me nuts and I couldn't find any help in the owner's guide. Thanks for the help!!!

Upvote 0
i've been reading on this forum for a lil while but never figured out how to add a custom text tone i tried changing the notification but for some reason it does not change the text tone no matter what notification i select. Am i doing something wrong? I already downloaded ringdroid but i kinda gave up and figured i would just ask you guys

if there is like a lil guide to customizing the hero if u could please provide me with a link so i will not have to ask no more stupid questions in the future

thanks in advance
blaznlow

in order to change your text notification tone you would have to connect your droid to a pc as disk drive. Then open files, if you downloaded a tone, open folder "downloads" look for the tone or song you would like left mouse click and copy then go back to all files open folder media folder then audio then notification... Ones you are on notification folder. Left click mouse and paste the tone. Close all folders and safely remove hardware!! Now on your phone open text mail ones its open hit menu then go to settings scroll down to notification sounds and your tone should be added to sounds scroll and look for it.

Upvote 0
in order to change your text notification tone you would have to connect your droid to a pc as disk drive. Then open files, if you downloaded a tone, open folder "downloads" look for the tone or song you would like left mouse click and copy then go back to all files open folder media folder then audio then notification... Ones you are on notification folder. Left click mouse and paste the tone. Close all folders and safely remove hardware!! Now on your phone open text mail ones its open hit menu then go to settings scroll down to notification sounds and your tone should be added to sounds scroll and look for it.

Upvote 0
I was able to change my text ringtone before, after trial and error, by finding out that you have to put the ringtone in a certain folder in order to set it specifically as a text ringtone. Recently, I dropped my phone and the SD card broke. I got a new SD card, and put the ringtone back on it, but now I can't find the folder that I have to put the ringtone into. None of the visible folders have the default ringtones in them, and after getting frustrated and dropping the file into every folder on my phone, I'm still not able to set the sound clip as my text ringtone.

Can anyone tell me the name of the folder I'm looking for, and how to make it appear on my computer when I hook my phone up to it?

Upvote 0
I'm impatient and typed my question into Google. Bottom line is, Android Market has the free app Extended Rings. Install it, and go to your generic message page (not a specfic conversation) and hit "Settings" then "Select Ringtone". It will ask you "Andriod Systems" or "Extended Rings", choose the latter, and it's pretty self-explanitory from there. Works wonders with the free Myxer app (though Myxer.com is best accessed through a PC).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones