• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to charge rapidly on Pixel2 XL?

BrockSamson

Lurker
Feb 12, 2015
When it comes to "CHARGING RAPIDLY" on Pixel2 XL, is there a difference in the actual "usb C cable" for charging speed?

My goal is to get "Charging Rapidly" (on sleep screen) when plugged into my car. (like when using the factory wall adapter).

I have a QC3.0 charger from "Ailun" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8PPY1H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the cable I bought turned out to not support Pixel2 XL "full speed charging"

So what car charger will give me "Full Speed Charging" ???
(my phone display is on long and often, so I need warp speed here)

And will any USB 3.0 cable provide "Full Speed Charging" or what specs should I look for when purchasing?

I am not familiar with that car charger so I can't speak directly to that part of your conundrum. First, Pixels use PD (power delivery) fast charging. NOT the Qualcomm quick charge. To charge "rapidly" your car charger MUST be PD fast charger and MUST be USB- C to provide the charge required. Your cable MUST also be PD compatible and MUST be USB-C to USB-C no adapters. Now, if you do your homework and look around and read reviews and follow the above you will get your coveted "charging rapidly". The above rules apply to all chargers, batteries, cables. Now all that said ... Why you freaking out about it charging rapidly? I rarely use my provided charger, only for top offs and travel, my car charger works fine and not slow but I don't get the charging rapidly thing, I use my Motorola home charger that came with my Atrix HD ... It charges s...l...o...w...l...y but I use it overnight so I don't care that it takes 4+ hours to charge it from 39% to 100%. Lastly, heat is the enemy of batteries, fast charging generates heat so ...

All that said, the included Pixel 2XL charger does not change the external temp of my phone so what do I know. Oh and also, as long as the battery lasts, why such a rush to recharge it?

Upvote 0
@shalemail nailed it.

Rapid charging requires USB-C Power Delivery, which requires a USB-C cable. An A-to-C cable will not work, nor will any charger with only USB-A ports.

That said, I charge my phone just fine in my car off of a USB-A adapter. It's not "rapid", but it's still enough to actively charge the battery even while using Android Auto (screen on, data on, location on, connected to my head unit via Bluetooth).

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
Exactly the info I was looking for! I had noticed the quick charge and the usb-pd, it is bad naming and easily confused, i am about to order my 3rd charger for this phone. All your explanations make this clearer.

While not exclusive, would it be safe to assume most C to C cables support the "power delivery" standard?
And

(probably not but) Will a C to C female to female adapter (to make two cables into one, for longer length), will that (likely) support "power delivery"?

For the why? Why does it matter?
If its important, first I want my devices to charge asap.

2nd I run GPS and several other apps in background often and current chargers do "Ok" but if battery load is high, then it just discharges slowly or stays the same.

3rd and most important, for as much as this PX2 XL costs, i want the BEST performance!

4th While im no electrician, wouldn't a "slower charger" use more electricity to get "fully" charged?

5th I have seen my A to C adapter charger come loose while driving around and not realize it until I need it

Should I go on?

Upvote 0
Problem solved thanks to the community!
I bought a "MEAGOES USB-PD" charger (PD cable included) and my pixel2 XL now shows "charging rapidly". I can run GPS and like 5 apps in background and charge to 100% quite fast.
A basic quick charger would just barely maintain or slowly discharge in the same scenario.

(Amazon description)

Meagoes Rapid USB PD Car Charger, Power Delivery & Quick Charge 3.0 Enabled, with USB C to C Cord for Google Pixel 2/XL, Motorola Moto Z2 Play/Force, Galaxy S8/Note 8, LG V30, Nintendo Switch - Grey

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076H7LKVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UlzzAb4S6WDFN

Upvote 0
hmm, I just bought a micto usb to usb C adaptor to cut the corner on having two different car chargers ( my girlfriends owns a samsung with micro usb )
I assume after reading this it wont be rapid charging but Im not bothered about that. The battery on puxel 2 xl holds pretty good to me and on the rare occasion when having a long drive, the above ' charger' will be good enough for me..

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
hmm, I just bought a micto usb to usb C adaptor to cut the corner on having two different car chargers ( my girlfriends owns a samsung with micro usb )
I assume after reading this it wont be rapid charging but Im not bothered about that. The battery on puxel 2 xl holds pretty good to me and on the rare occasion when having a long drive, the above ' charger' will be good enough for me..

I was on the "good enough" train when I started the pixel journey and started with the micro to C adapters... But using always screen on GPS and several other apps, my phone would barley maintain or slowly discharge and I like the screen bright. So PD charging is the only way to go for me... But it just depends on your usage.
The charger on amazon link above and a 10ft USB-PD cable (not included) was only $30ish... Not a bad deal.

And @luan22 cant use GPS and other required services in airplane mode. The goal was fast charging and usage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones