• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to configure Gmail app?

geekgeek

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Hi everyone! Just got my Galaxy S2 yesterday, and I'm a first time Android user! (Switched from iOS)

I'm currently using the Gmail app, and I was wondering if there was a way to configure the sync such that the app only receives mail manually? i.e. it will only check for new mail when I open the app, and choose sync

Currently, it appears to check for mail automatically and notifies me whenever i get a new message, and I suspect that drains my battery more than i'd like

thanks in advance!

Gmail is a "push" service; it doesn't poll the mail server at regular intervals, rather mail is sync'd whenever it arrives at the server.

If you'd prefer this to be a manual process then you can disable auto-sync on a per-process basis in Settings/Accounts & sync and selecting your Google account in Manage accounts. You can also disable auto-sync globally with the check box.

Reactions: geekgeek
Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy II Sx running android 2.3 and I am having trouble figuring out how to avoid duplicate emails between my phone and Windows 7 desktop/Google Chrome browser.

Basically, if I read an email and delete it from the gmail app on my phone, I want it not to appear on a refreshed browser screen on my Windows 7 desktop and vise versa. I spend way too much time deleting emails I have already read them on another device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones