• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to connect to car audio?

benzfreak

Lurker
Jul 25, 2010
So I have a pionner head unit that has a USB connection. I connected my friends G1 before I bought this phone to make sure it is compatible and his phone worked perfectly. I bought th Captivate (which I love) and when I hook it up to the USB nothing happens. It gives me the USB connection screen on my phone but nothing happens on the head unit side.

Do I need a driver like I did for the computer? If so, what driver would work with a pioneer head unit?

I love this phone but I would really love to connect it to my car like I was able to with my IPHONE.

Thanks guys

Sorry for bumping the topic but I'm running into a similar issue.

I have a Pioneer DEH-3200 head unit with a USB input. It reads from USB mass storage devices fine and I expecting this phone to read fine as well.

I've tried media/mounted mass storage to no avail. What exactly separates the mounting mode from a generic mass storage device?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Just curious. Do you have your music on the Internal or the External memory card?

In Mass storage Mode, both cards appear as a distinct memory drives. If you have your music on the external card, it may not be recognized by your radio since the Internal card is the first one checked.

In your position, I would try to copy a few songs on the Internal card, just to test my theory.

If all else fails, do you have a 3,5mm input on your radio? You can use the headset output from your phone. It's what I do since I don't have USB ports on my radio.

Nicolas Racine

Upvote 0
Just curious. Do you have your music on the Internal or the External memory card?

In Mass storage Mode, both cards appear as a distinct memory drives. If you have your music on the external card, it may not be recognized by your radio since the Internal card is the first one checked.

This is a really good point that hadn't occurred to me. Makes total sense and I would not be surprised if it was the root of peoples' problems.

Upvote 0

In your position, I would try to copy a few songs on the Internal card, just to test my theory.

If all else fails, do you have a 3,5mm input on your radio? You can use the headset output from your phone. It's what I do since I don't have USB ports on my radio.

Nicolas Racine

My car doesn't even have a USB port.

So I use either my Jupiter Jack (really works!) or the generic 3.5mm jack FM transmitter I got from cellphoneshop.net. Both work well on my 99.3 FM frequency. The one from cellphoneshop.net came with a cigarette lighter charger so I don't have to worry about batteries. Doesn't look like they sell that anymore.

Upvote 0
The 3.5mm jack is old technology that requires you to operate your phone to play the music and allows the volume level of the input to vary separate from the volume level of the stereo. I would like to be able to use the USB input on my Pioneer stereo too, eventually. That way the radio controls the playback of the music rather than having to control the music from the phone.

My stereo also has A2DP over Bluetooth, but unlike connecting it over USB, I can't choose specific albums, artists, etc. I have to start the album playing on my phone and then I can control stuff like next track and previous track, so it is more limited than USB.

Upvote 0
I just connected my Captivate via USB to my Pioneer FH-P800BT car stereo. I used the Mass Storage mode because Media Player mode turns off Bluetooth and I need Bluetooth for hands free calls. My stereo started playing the first song on my external SD card and was not able to access the music on my internal SD card.

When 32 GB microSD cards get cheap enough, I may ditch my Gen 5 iPod and start using my phone to store all of my music, so I will have all of my music in my car and at work too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones