• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to connect to DLNA TV? (Panasonic TC-P50S30)

jaydee77ca

Oct 29, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
I have a Panasonic TCP50S30 plasma TV which supports DLNA and is connected to my home network via wired ethernet. On the Panasonic I can use it's DLNA browser to browse content on my PlayStation3 and Computer. Shouldn't I be able to send videos and photos to the TV from my Galaxy S3? When I click that TV icon in the photo or video browser it only shows my WDTV Live Player and nothing else. Has anyone been able to send content to a DLNA capable TV?

Thanks!

I have a Panasonic TCP50S30 plasma TV which supports DLNA and is connected to my home network via wired ethernet. On the Panasonic I can use it's DLNA browser to browse content on my PlayStation3 and Computer. Shouldn't I be able to send videos and photos to the TV from my Galaxy S3? When I click that TV icon in the photo or video browser it only shows my WDTV Live Player and nothing else. Has anyone been able to send content to a DLNA capable TV?

Thanks!

My Siii will only pick up my samsung TV and one of my pc's all on the same network, it has never recognized my panasonic.

Upvote 0
My Siii will only pick up my samsung TV and one of my pc's all on the same network, it has never recognized my panasonic.
If that's true then it's incredibly lame. That would mean that the GS3 is using some kind of proprietary mechanism to only connect to other Samsung devices. I can't think that it's true since it seems to be able to see my Western Digital TV media player.

I can browse content on my GS3 from the TV if I go in to it's DLNA app and turn File Sharing on on the GS3. But I want to be able to just push from the GS3 to the TV like I can to the WDTV player.

Has anyone else got this to work?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Plex is a media server used for DLNA type setups but also sharing of media. You would need a server app (if even made) on your phone and hope that your Viera/Toshiba will see your phone.

There is no way to communicate with DLNA compatible devices without a server program. On the PC (windows 7) it could be a homegroup or running WMP server service. If you don't want to use homegroups or WMP then you could go with serviio or plex or tversity etc.

The TV needs a service/server to connect to.

Upvote 0
Plex is a media server used for DLNA type setups but also sharing of media. You would need a server app (if even made) on your phone and hope that your Viera/Toshiba will see your phone.

There is no way to communicate with DLNA compatible devices without a server program. On the PC (windows 7) it could be a homegroup or running WMP server service. If you don't want to use homegroups or WMP then you could go with serviio or plex or tversity etc.

The TV needs a service/server to connect to.

Yeah I understand what you're saying but be careful not to confuse Plex Media Server, Plex Clients, and DLNA. Newer versions of Plex Media Server support access from DLNA compatible clients but older versions didn't and Plex Media Server is really designed to be used by it's own Plex Clients which are available for mobile and other devices.

That being said, the Galaxy S3 supports access of it's media via DLNA. You enable it by going to Settings -> More settings (Under Wireless and networks) -> Nearby devices and then turn the File sharing switch on.

Once you do that, the phone should appear in the DLNA client on the TV. This works on my Panasonic TV. I go to the DLNA app and the phone shows up and I can browse the photos and videos on the phone and play them on the TV.

What I'm actually trying to do is the reverse. Share from the phone to the TV by using that network icon in the Gallery. However, the only device that is listed is my WDTV Live media player, not the Panasonic TV. I'm not sure what a Samsung TV would have to support that function that my Panasonic wouldn't since it supports DLNA and that's all this is using presumably.

Upvote 0
Happy holidays to everyone!

I have the new Note 2 also, and I have Serviio running on a pc dedicated to movies and music, which I stream via DLNA to my OPPO Bluray DVD player. I can stream videos from my Note 2 to the OPPO, but I can't get it to connect to the server running serviio which has all my music and movies.

The note 2 sees the serviio, but when I try to connect, it says "contents location is unavailable, check network status and connection device". I have the firewall off and I'm inside my home network.

I am sorely disappointed in this phone as I can barely stream audio from the web and there's no players like streamfurious that are able to handle all the different formats, and now I can't stream from the pc to the Note!!!! Grrrrr!! I wanted something to replace my phone, laptop and tablet while in the vehicle and this was the best option. I really like the screen size and battery life, but the thing is mostly incompatible with all the apps I had on my Droid Bionic.

Why do they always have to BREAK 3 apps when they add 1 new one?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I would be greatly appreciative of it!

Thanks

Tom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones