1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How to connect to Google to reset the pattern lock, when Data and Wi-Fi are not on?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MikeMyers, Nov 26, 2013.

1. MikeMyers

MikeMyers Newbie
    None

May 31, 2012
    My friend has an older Samsung phone, and in trying to change the pattern lock, he did something wrong, and now can't access the phone.

From what I've been reading so far, the next step is to enter his Google account number and password, which will let him log on and (I think) create a new pattern lock.

The problem is, the phone has Wi-Fi and also Data turned off.

I think he is now dead in the water, with no options left but to factory-reset the phone, once we find out how to do that. I thought I would ask here first, in case there is any way to get the phone to connect to Google, even with Data and Wi-Fi not connected?

Is there any way to get past this by somehow connecting the phone to a computer?

(I thought I should ask here first - I can also call Samsung, and give them the model of the phone and the IMEI number, and any other information they may need.... if there is some way to get the phone to communicate with Google, we should be all set, but I suspect it's not possible......)

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
  3. MikeMyers

MikeMyers Newbie
    None

May 31, 2012
    GT-S6102

Thanks - will check the video now...

Thom, editing this post...
    I watched the video, and while he can enter his login and password, the phone can't connect to Google because the 'data' and 'wi-fi' are off.

Factory reset is another way (but hopefully we can find a way to avoid losing all his data):

[FONT=&quot]Samsung S6102 Galaxy Y Duos Hard Reset Steps:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

- Make sure that your Samsung S6102 Galaxy Y Duos is Off, And has no SIM or Memory cards are inside.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Take out its battery for 10 seconds, Then put it in again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Press and hold Volume Up + Home Keys, Then press Power.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Keep pressing the above keys until Samsung logo appears, Then release all keys.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Wait until you are into Factory reset / System Recovery menu.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Use Volume Down key to scroll down and select Wipe Data / Factory Reset option.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Use Power button or Home key to confirm the operation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- You need to use the Volume Down key again to select "Yes -- delete all user data"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Use Power button or Home key to confirm the operation one more time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- After performing the hard reset, Select Reboot System Now option, And confirm it using Power button or Home key.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Now the phone will reboot, Wait for it to be fully on and then you can start using it.[/FONT]

4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    This thread was moved to the forum dedicated to discussing this phone.

... Thom

5. MikeMyers

MikeMyers Newbie
    None

May 31, 2012
    Thanks for moving the thread - I should have posted here in the first place. I need to learn more about how this forum is set up.

I keep thinking there must be some way around the problem, but it's a "catch-22". Anything I can think of depends on something I can't do, because of the problem.

6. MikeMyers

MikeMyers Newbie
    None

May 31, 2012
    One more update - from Google tech support:

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hello Mike, [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thank you for contacting Google! You are correct. Unfortunately, the only way to get back into the phone now is to perform a Factory Data Reset. I've provided those steps for you below: [/FONT]

• [FONT=arial, sans-serif]If your phone is on, power it off.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Press and hold Volume Down, and then press and hold Power simultaneously until the device turns on. You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]While holding down Power, press Volume Up.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Note: If at any point during the above steps your phone becomes unresponsive, you can restart it by holding down the power button for several seconds.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Unless anyone has some really creative ideas, I think it's going to be a factory reset. :-(
    Any secret codes that can be sent to the phone from a PC to turn on data?
    Any way that Kies software can do something?
    Maybe any special codes that the phone would recognize from a PC?

The phone is "on", and "working", but there's no way to get its attention - should have installed "androidlost" app, but they didn't, and until tonight, I didn't know about it either. :-(

[/FONT]

7. MikeMyers

MikeMyers Newbie
    None

May 31, 2012
    I found this list at xda-developers.com and maybe something here will be useful, but I'm not sure how this could be entered from the phone - maybe from a PC?

SGY Working Secret Codes Few Secret Codes For SGY and also some others...

*#*#4636#*#* phone information
    *2767*3855# hard reset
    *#*#7780#*#* factory reset
    *#*#7594#*#* change end call/power option
    *#*#197328640#*#* service mode
    *#*#273283*255*663282*#*#* file copy screen (backup media files)
    *#*#526#*#* wlan test
    *#*#232338#*#* shows wifi mac address
    *#*#1472365#*#* gps test
    *#*#1575#*#* another gps test
    *#*#232331#*#* bluetooth test
    *#*#232337#*# shows bluetooth device address
    *#*#8255#*#* gtalk service monitor

*#*#0283#*#* packet loopback
    *#*#0*#*#* lcd test
    *#*#0673#*#* melody test
    *#*#0842#*#* device test (vibration test and backlight test)
    *#*#2663#*#* touch screen version
    *#*#2664#*#* touch screen test
    *#*#0588#*#* proximity sensor test
    *#*#3264#*#* ram version

codes to get firmware version information:
    *#*#4986*2650468#*#* pda, phone, h/w, rfcalldate
    *#*#1234#*#* pda and phone
    *#*#1111#*#* fta sw version
    *#*#2222#*#* fta hw version
    *#*#44336#*#* pda, phone, csc, build time, changelist number

8. MikeMyers

MikeMyers Newbie
    None

May 31, 2012
    It turns out that the phone can be fixed without doing a factory reset, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do all the steps, as it's way more complicated than anything I've ever done before with a mobile.

For anyone willing to try, this link will lead you to everything that is needed, but it's in a "developer's forum" so people got upset at me for asking how to do things.

If my friend wants me to try this anyway, I will post what I did and how it worked out, but I'm not sure he's going to want me to try because if anything goes wrong in rooting a phone and installing custom software, the phone can be made completely useless.... the safer option is to just do a factory reset.

Here's a link to my discussion at xda-developers:

[Q] How to reset password, when data and wi-fi are turned off? - xda-developers

Here's a link to the real answer, from the person who figured it out:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2437946

Thanks for all your help!