• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to convert "Phone" contacts to "Google" contacts

DDustiNN

Android Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2009
So I did my update manually earlier today without any problems (all of my contacts were Google)... I have a question for my sister's though:

How do you convert all of your Phone contacts to Google contacts? I don't want to do the .csv backup and all that... just sync all Phone and Google contacts to Google. The reason is because when Verizon transfers your numbers, they get saved as Phone contacts... but from what I understand, the update only re-syncs your Google contacts.

So is there a quick/easy way to do this? She is not very tech-savvy... I just want to make sure she does this before she upgrades, so she doesn't lose all of her phone numbers.

Thanks

So I did my update manually earlier today without any problems (all of my contacts were Google)... I have a question for my sister's though:

How do you convert all of your Phone contacts to Google contacts? I don't want to do the .csv backup and all that... just sync all Phone and Google contacts to Google. The reason is because when Verizon transfers your numbers, they get saved as Phone contacts... but from what I understand, the update only re-syncs your Google contacts.

So is there a quick/easy way to do this? She is not very tech-savvy... I just want to make sure she does this before she upgrades, so she doesn't lose all of her phone numbers.

Thanks

There are a few apps you can try in the market, Just use the search 'contacts sync'. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Is that Contact Sync with or without an "s" on Contact? (i.e., Contact or Contacts?) Both are in the market; the one without the "s" claims to convert non-Google contacts to Google contacts - but reports possible "instability" on the Eris. The other one doesn't say anything about Google contacts. I tried the no-s version and got force close every time I tried to run it. Guess I'll have to find another workaround - I have a couple hundred non-Google contacts!

Upvote 0
Ummm .... doesn't it do it automatically? I never had to download an ap or do anything fancy. All my phone contacts automatically synch with my google contacts. Go to you gmail account, click on 'contacts', make sure the box with 'show all contacts' is checked, and see if they don't show up.

There are two types of contacts... "phone" and "google". The google contacts will automatically sync with gmail. The phone ones don't. I think the issue of having "phone" contacts is only apparent for a first time Android user, as it would depend on how your contacts were initially loaded onto the phone.

Upvote 0
There are two types of contacts... "phone" and "google". The google contacts will automatically sync with gmail. The phone ones don't. I think the issue of having "phone" contacts is only apparent for a first time Android user, as it would depend on how your contacts were initially loaded onto the phone.

The thing is all of my 'phone' contacts automatically showed up in gmail. I don't know if the dude in the verizon store did something special to synch it, but folks from my phone book who had no appearance in google and couldn't possibly be google contacts (like my grandma and hairstylist) automatically showed up in my google contact list when i got the phone. And any new contact/phone number I enter now (from my phone) shows up in contacts too.

Upvote 0
The thing is all of my 'phone' contacts automatically showed up in gmail. I don't know if the dude in the verizon store did something special to synch it, but folks from my phone book who had no appearance in google and couldn't possibly be google contacts (like my grandma and hairstylist) automatically showed up in my google contact list when i got the phone. And any new contact/phone number I enter now (from my phone) shows up in contacts too.

Well, there might be a bit of confusion here... rightfully so because the term "phone" contacts is a bit ambiguous. Just to clear things up, open your people app (contacts), then hit menu > view. You'll see some checkboxes which will enable you to either show or hide both 'phone' and 'google' contacts. It will also indicate in parens () how many of each you have. If you're willing, post back what you have.

Upvote 0
Well, there might be a bit of confusion here... rightfully so because the term "phone" contacts is a bit ambiguous. Just to clear things up, open your people app (contacts), then hit menu > view. You'll see some checkboxes which will enable you to either show or hide both 'phone' and 'google' contacts. It will also indicate in parens () how many of each you have. If you're willing, post back what you have.

Ooooh...I didn't know about this....it says I have 0 phone contacts. I guess the Verizon guy somehow converted them to google contacts when I first got the phone. Very weird.

Upvote 0
In the Samsung Galaxy S it's easy to convert your phone contacts to google contacts I found out... after a looong while looking for sync software.
Just go to the contacts, choose export to csv. go to a file browser, find the csv-file and click on it. You will get the option to save it as phone contacts or google contacts. Choose google-contacts and the contacts will now be converted to google-contacts (no duplicates). Then sync your phone with google. That's all there is to it. No extra software needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones