• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to convert PSX ISOs to work on the Xperia Play

How to convert PSX ISOs to work on the Xperia Play

Android Tools needed
ES File Explorer (free - available on Android Market) Download and install on your phone.
Root Explorer - (paid app)

PC Tools needed
PSXperiaTool (get the 1.0 version)
Download, and extract into it's own folder (For this tutorial, the path will be C:\PSXperia1.0)

Files needed
You will need to copy two files to your PC. They are the original emulator files from Crash Bandicoot, which ships with all Xperia Play phones. This is the emulator that you will modify for your new ISOs. Copy them to a folder called "PSXFiles" in your C:\PSXperia1.0 folder.

You can get them off your own phone by following these directions:

Your phone does NOT need to be rooted to perform these steps

*Install Root Explorer.
*Open root explorer
*browse to the /system/app folder
*locate the file "com.sony.playstation.ncua94900_1.apk"
*perform a "long press" on the com.sony.playstation.ncua94900_1.apk file, and when the dialogue box opens, select COPY.
*press your phone's back button twice
*open the SDcard folder
*paste com.sony.playstation.ncua94900_1.apk to the root of SD card folder
*remain in the SD Card folder, and scroll up. Locate and open the Android folder.
*open the data folder
*find the folder called com.sony.playstation.ncua94900_1, open it
*open folder called files
*open the content folder
*perform a long press on NCUA94900_1_1.zpak, when the dialogue box opens select copy
*press your phone's back button 5 times, until you get back to the root of SD card
*paste NCUA94900_1_1.zpak on root of SD card
Now that you have copies of both files, transfer com.sony.playstation.ncua94900_1.apk and NCUA94900_1_1.zpak to C:\PSXperia1.0\PSXFiles.

Open your PSXperiaTool folder

Run psxperiatool-gui-windows
1-2.png

(read the jibber-jabber and do the silliness it says to do on the information tab)

Select the Extract tab

The APK file you want is the one you just copied off your phone. Select CHOOSE and find com.sony.playstation.ncua94900_1.apk
The ZPAK file is also one you just copied off your phone. Select CHOOSE and find NCUA94900_1_1.zpak
Output tells you where it will store the patched files. Leave it on the default setting.
2-1.png

Click EXTRACT, and wait for it to finish.

Select the Convert tab

In the top portion, all you need to select is the PSX ISO you want to convert.

The Information portion will make your game look like it belongs with the rest of the games in your Xperia Play PSX collection. Adding cover art is pretty much a must, as you will use this to select your game from a list that resembles Coverflow on an iPod Touch. Changing the Title ID is important as well, since the files you copy back to the phone will carry the title ID's as filenames. If you don't change it to something other than the default, every game you convert will be named the same thing. Icons must be in PNG format, and I find that 197x197 pixels is a good size.
3.png

At this point you just click CONVERT, and wait.

When finished, your converted ISO will be divided into 2 parts you must copy back to your phone's SD card. They are contained in the OUTPUT folder (C:\PSXperia1.0\output):
4.png

the file - com.sony.playstation.xxxxxx.apk (where xxxx is the title ID you gave the game)
the folder - "data"

Copy the file com.sony.playstation.xxxxxx.apk to the root of your SD card
5.png

Open the folder "data"
Copy the folder "com.sony.playstation.xxxxxx to SDcard/Android/data folder
6.png

Open ES FIle Explorer on your phone
Browse to your SD card
select the com.sony.playstation.xxxxxx.apk file
Select 'Install"

Installation takes a few minutes. Be patient.

When finished, slide open the controller, and verify your new game is showing in the games list. Tap the game icon to start the game. It is likely the game will close and take you back to the game list. Tap the icon a 2nd time, and the game will load. If all is well, you can delete the com.sony.playstation.xxxxxx.apk file.

Hope this helps anyone interested. Compatibility is a bit sketchy right now, but this tool is less than a week old. v1.0 has already fixed a lot of problems the beta had, and more fixes will follow soon ;)

You need to read the text on the tools carefully... you need to highlight the maker's name, then check all the boxes.. xixixi~

Btw, I did use this tool, but after I do all the steps given here, & I tried to play the game I converted (it's Chrono Cross btw :D ) the game won't start... the icon appears on the Playstation Pocket, right beside the Crash Bandicoot icon, but when I opened it, only appears blank, then went back to Playstation Pocket with 2 icons of game (Chrono Cross & Crash) again. Hiks.. Need help..

Upvote 0
You need to read the text on the tools carefully... you need to highlight the maker's name, then check all the boxes.. xixixi~

Btw, I did use this tool, but after I do all the steps given here, & I tried to play the game I converted (it's Chrono Cross btw :D ) the game won't start... the icon appears on the Playstation Pocket, right beside the Crash Bandicoot icon, but when I opened it, only appears blank, then went back to Playstation Pocket with 2 icons of game (Chrono Cross & Crash) again. Hiks.. Need help..

It's not 100% yet. But, I have only had one game fail (Rayman 1). As updates come for PSXperia, I'm sure more games will work ;)

Upvote 0
This is excellent, thanks for this run through. So far I have GT2 working perfectly, testing some other games right now. I just tried Nascar Thunder 2004, and It goes no further than the 'playstation screen'. Oh well, I will reply back with more compaitability results

cheers

*update 1*

Bubble Bubble collection (BB, rainbow islands) = mostly perfect, except for some graphic distortions at boot up of game on borders, and end of game screen, but minimal
Marvel VS Capcom = plays, but boxey artifacting over character animations in game :(
Colin McRae Rally 1 = perfect, great FPS, excellent
F1 World Grand Prix 99 season = mostly perfect, some artifacting in car selection screen
Gran Turismo 2 = perfect !!!! BGM is pefect also, great FPS, cannot fault it

*update 2* more games tested :)

Metal Slug X = works, won't say perfectly, bc I do notice it being slower than arcade and ps2 versions.
Nascar Thunder 2004 = does not work/load
Nascar 2001 = does not work/load
Spyro 2 = works perfectly
Toca 2 Touring Cars = Works perfectly
Wipeout 3 = does not work/load
Nascar Rumble = crashes at EA Sports intro screen
Nascar Thunder 2002 = does not work/load
Nascar Thunder 2003 = does not work/load
Ace Combat 3 = loads, sound is sped up, like chipmunks, game crashes after few seconds flying, need D pad config to fly plane. Game crashes anymore
Marvel Super Heroes VS Streetfighter = does not work/load

* update 3*

Cart World Series Racing = Works perfectly..however load times are a little long
R-Type Delta = Works perfectly!!!

Upvote 0
Make sure you try and open them more then once, they wont open the first time.

This is true, and I forgot to put that in the tutorial. I will add it.
Thanks!

Seeing as though that this seems quite a handy guide and it will probably prove quite useful for the majority of Experia Play users, I arranged for this to be made a sticky.

Thanks!

Reactions: Lurchy_boy
Upvote 0
more games that I've tested

Madden 2004 = does not work/load
F1 2000 = loads but crashes after intro movie
MLB 2003 = does not work/load
Tekken 3 = works perfectly
Crash Bandicoot 3 = works perfectly
Supercross Circuit = does not work/load

more tested Sunday:

GTA 2 = works perfectly
Heart of Darkness = loads, crashes as first level begins
Nascar Heat = does not work/load
NHL 99 = does not work/load
Star Wars Jedi Power Battles = does not work/load
Tomb Raider = loads, but crashes after u start a new game
Bust-A-Move 2 = loads, but crashes when first level is about to complete loading
Star Wars Dark Forces = does not work/load

I think I am noticing a trend here, it appears older games (1995-1999) appear to work the best, games from say 2000 onwards appear to be very problematic. I've tried atleast 6 or 7 EA Sports titles, none of em worked...Just my 2 cents ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones