1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support How to copy and paste?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tinkerman61, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Tinkerman61

Tinkerman61 Newbie

I just switched from a Blackberry to the Atrix.

- How do I select text then copy and paste it somewhere else?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert

It's easy to miss this feature. But in most menu/screen selections, you simply tap twice to highlight the text, press and hold a few seconds and a popup menu appears with the option to cut or copy the text. Then when you're in the text field you want to paste (like a text or email message), just press and hold in that field and you get the option to paste.

You can also copy web URL's by pressing and holding on a link and a popup will show with an option to copy the URL which can be pasted, like in a text message to someone so they can visit the same webpage.

Android can recognize phone numbers too. I often copy/paste numbers in text messages and it's really easy once you know how.

3. Tinkerman61

Tinkerman61 Newbie

Thanks, but that does not work.
    I am trying to copy some text from one email to place in another. I double tap, press and hold and nothing happens.

4. electronaut

electronaut Newbie

In the web browser, click the settings/menu button, then click 'More', then look for 'Select text'. Paint the text you want selected, and when you're done, it will be copied to the clipboard. (This is something the iPhone really does a lot better than Android right now, unfortunately.)

In an edit field, you can just tap and hold and you will get a menu which lets you do various things like select, copy, paste, paste from clipboard, etc.

5. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert

You don't have to use the Menu button, just press and hold on the text you want to copy and a selection box pops up where you can drag selection pointers. It's very easy and similar to the iPhone.

6. Tinkerman61

Tinkerman61 Newbie

@bfksc - I tried that and still noting happens. What electronaut said for web pages is correct and works.

In the email application, there is no menu choice to do this, only have Move and Mark Unread.

Am I missing something here? This should be so simple!

7. tatiana320

tatiana320 Newbie

Same here I have been trying to copy stuff from email an paste them some where else and no success.

8. Evil.Bonsai

Evil.Bonsai Android Enthusiast

Just did this (in gmail app on phone)

open message
    tap menu key
    tap more
    tap select text

in new message:
    press and hold in text area
    select paste (last selection) or paste from clipboard (multiple selections)

9. Tinkerman61

Tinkerman61 Newbie

Thank you Evil. Yes it does work in a POP account, however I am trying to do this in a corporate (exchange) account and there are not any menu choices for that unfortunately.

10. Erick161

Erick161 Newbie

Works just like that for me...

11. Tinkerman61

Tinkerman61 Newbie

Are you doing this on an Atrix with exchange email?

12. BillyD

BillyD Lurker

Yeah, same here. I am trying the same thing on an Atrix on exchange and no go.

13. W00MBA

W00MBA Newbie

I dont think copy/paste is available in all apps on the atrix. I have been able to use either of the previously mentioned methods in browser/messaging/gmail etc, but there are a few that i could not get it to copy. I think it all depends on which app you are trying to do it in