1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to copy files to a folder on the desktop?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Phil McCavity, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Phil McCavity

Phil McCavity Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Today I bought my first Android device (a ZT-180 tablet). I have it doing most of what I want with the notable exception that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get files into a folder on my desktop. I can create and rename the desktop folder, I've copied the files to a temporary location on my tablet, but I have no idea how to get the files from their current location to the desktop folder.

I feel sure this has to be trivial but after an hour of googling and experimentation I've hit the wall.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    The problem is that the desktop (homescreen) on an android phone doesn't work like the one on a PC - there's no equivalent directory like (C:\Users\Username\Desktop) where files will show up on the homescreen.

The way to go about this on android would be to create a shortcut that told your file manager to open at a specific directory on the sdcard. If you search 'Astro' in the market, that's a file manager that allows you to create shortcuts in that way. Just find an empty space on your homescreen and press and hold on it, then pick shortcuts >> Astro and then pick your folder on the sdcard. From then on, clicking that shortcut will open astro at the folder you chose.

Phil McCavity likes this.
  3. Phil McCavity

Phil McCavity Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Bingo! It's not as seamless as the Windoze implementation but it gets the job done.

Thanks!!