• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to correct Nexus 5x phone info displayed to called phones

dsquires47

Lurker
Nov 6, 2016
hi and thanks, i just received a new google nexus 5x smartphone. the number supplied to me was from an area code close, but not mine and apparently, a number someone else had used. when i called friends, the caller id on their phones showed an unfamiliar number and they did not answer. how can i change the info my phone sends and is displayed on others caller id?

What carrier are you on? Did you port your number in or just get issued a new one?

If you got a new number, you will need to contact your contacts to let them know that your number has changed. I don't think that mobile numbers generally get registered with any caller ID system - the only information available is usual the carrier and city.

Upvote 0
thanks for the quick response. i'm new to smartphones. when applying for this google phone, my area code had no available numbers so we were issued one. on past cell phones, i remember a function called 'how is my phone viewed'. i thought that was what determined the caller id. so now the caller id is managed by a receiving phone contact list rather than a 'name' sent by sending phone?

Upvote 0
thanks for the quick response. i'm new to smartphones. when applying for this google phone, my area code had no available numbers so we were issued one. on past cell phones, i remember a function called 'how is my phone viewed'. i thought that was what determined the caller id. so now the caller id is managed by a receiving phone contact list rather than a 'name' sent by sending phone?

Yes, if your contact has your name and number in their contacts, they will see your name appear on the screen, 'cause it matches the phone number being sent over the airwaves.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones