1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to covert to TWRP based firmware installer

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by myjess, Sep 16, 2016.

1. myjess

myjess Lurker
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    I have a doogee X5 Max Pro.
    I put new firmware on it but it deleted everything on the phone.
    I do not want to install firmware via TWRP from altrom cos I don't know if it's legit.

I would like to either backup my phone completely with TWRP or Titanium, but if I install an older or newer OS using normal methods I lose root and TWRP so unable to restore or use Titanium.

So only other option is to take the Manufacturer zipped ROM file and pull and modify for TWRP.

Anyone know if I can do that?

Thank you.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Firstly, I don't know anything about ROMs for this phone, and don't know how to convert the manufacturer software package into a ROM image that TWRP can flash. If the manufacturer file includes a system image maybe you could fastboot flash that instead, which should produce the same result as dirty flashing a ROM from TWRP (if you are unsure about any aspect of what I just said, ask rather than just doing it, and do a TWRP ROM backup first anyway). Note that flashing the manufacturer ROM via any method at all will lose you root, though if you still have TWRP installed it should be simple enough to re-root the ROM (being rooted is a property of the ROM, and having a rooted ROM and having TWRP installed are completely separate things, though commonly done together).

Of course if you can reinstall TWRP and root the phone again after the official update that is another route: backup the phone, copy the backup somewhere safe, update officially, re-root, restore backup. But make sure it is possible before trying that approach.

I assume that you just want to backup/restore user apps and data from TWRP, i.e. use it in the same way you would use Titanium, because if you do the default backup/restore that will overwrite the new ROM as well. And of course restoring system settings could cause problems if the ROMs are very different, so is probably best not done. For that reason I'd probably recommend Titanium rather than TWRP for this, since TWRP will just restore the entire /data partition (Titanium Pro can of course install stuff from a TWRP backup).

scary alien likes this.