• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [how to]create a goldcard for emmc devices

scotty85

Extreme Android User
Jul 25, 2010
this is a guide to creating a gold card. original directions are from here:

Copy all of the data on your microSD card to a backup location on your PC
Format the microSD to FAT32 format

*note: if you use the gold card helper app you can skip right to step 3,and enter the number from the app

1)Open a command prompt one again and type the following:
cd c:\directory (example: cd c:\miniadb )

adb devices

adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid
You should get a long number something along the lines of 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5420
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="Red"]cd c:\mini-adb_inspire[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:\mini-adb_inspire>[COLOR="red"]adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid[/COLOR]
02544d534130324705235a270400b2c6

c:\mini-adb_inspire>

2)Goto this page and copy the number in the above step into the box and hit Submit, you’ll then be given another long number
Untitled-1copy_zps865bc72c.jpg

3)Go to this page and enter this new number into the SD Card Serial (CID) field
Untitled-2copy_zps4b6cca94.jpg

4)Enter the other details and hit Generate Goldcard
the site will generate and download a goldcard. transfer the image to somewhere convenient,like the desktop or root of your c drive
Untitled-3copy_zps7b3a2bef.jpg

5)Download HxD Hex Editor from here and install

*at this point i recomend to remove the sd card from the phone,and place it in an sd card reader in your PC.

6)Open HxD Hex Editor. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must run the application as administrator

7)Go to the Extra menu and select Open Disk. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your microSD card), uncheck Open as Read-only and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk
Untitled-5copy_zps6e3430bc.jpg

8)Go to the Extra menu again and select Open Disk Image. Open the goldcard image that you received by email and saved above
Untitled-6copy_zpsa9e3645c.jpg

9)You should now have two tabs; one is your removable disk and the other is your goldcard image. Press OK when prompted for Sector Size (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)) and click OK

10)Click on the goldcard image tab. Go to the Edit menu, choose Select All then select the Edit menu again and select Copy
Untitled-7copy_zps2f33844f.jpg

11)Click on the Removable Disk tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the Edit menu and select Paste Write
Untitled-10copy_zps78c7047c.jpg

result will be this:
Untitled-9copy_zpsa2a5a4fb.jpg

12)Click on the File menu and select Save, accepting the warning

You now have a goldcard

Reactions: jjohn7293
Hello
I've just missed rev. skills by one day as it has just closed down today! I was just about to paste my reversed cid to get my goldcard img and got the "say goodbye" message. Is there anyone out there who can advise me where to go know? I'd love to follow the above guide to its conclusion and get my htc desire out of its semibricked condition. Thank you if you have read thus far! Bye for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones