• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to create a Google account for children?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are getting our two kids, both slightly under 13, G2's for Christmas. According to the Android User's Guide ...

You must sign into a Google Account to use Gmail, Google Talk, Google Calendar, and other Google Apps; to download applications from Android Market; to back up your settings to Google servers; and to take advantage of other Google services on your phone.
We don't really care if the kids don't have gmail, talk, or calendar but we want them to be able to download apps and games. Well Google won't let you create an account for anyone under 13 years old. I know there are other children out there who have Android phones and are able to download apps/games.

I've seen linked email accounts where it's formatted like yourname+kidsname@gmail.com but I'm not sure if we want to go that route or if it will even work. We could always create a Google account for them using one of our birthdates but I'm not 100% comfortable with that either. So what is the general consensus on the best way to handle setting up accounts for children?

Then maybe I'm missing something here. When I turned my phone on for the first time it asked me for my Google account info. I don't have to re-enter that information each time I want to download an app. So even if I created a separate account that's monitored (gmail) how would you go about requiring a log in each time they would want to download an app? You'll have to forgive me as this is only my 2nd day with my Droid X and I'm still trying to figure out all the ins/outs.

Upvote 0
Then maybe I'm missing something here. When I turned my phone on for the first time it asked me for my Google account info. I don't have to re-enter that information each time I want to download an app. So even if I created a separate account that's monitored (gmail) how would you go about requiring a log in each time they would want to download an app? You'll have to forgive me as this is only my 2nd day with my Droid X and I'm still trying to figure out all the ins/outs.

you won't have to. You enter it in the phone once.

But are you having problems creating a new account for an <13 y.o., you are going to have to either make them an account for them (I have 4 gmail accounts, only one is my main account that my phone uses for apps)

but when you make them that account for them (it can be their name@gmail.com ) just make sure it's "YOUR" account. YOU control it, YOU monitor it. That's all I'm saying.

Personally, I would make a gmail account that was xxxFamily@gmail.com and simply put that one as the main account on both your kid's devices. That way, any app you buy, is good for both of the devices and you can track one account much easier than 2 seperate accounts.

Upvote 0
Ok, then you and I are both on the same page. This isn't an account that they will actively be using, just one that would be used to get things started with the phone. I'm thinking something like this may be useful as well Android Protector. I know that content rating is coming to the Android Market but does anyone know exactly when that will happen?

Your last paragraph was something I was also interested in. If we created one account that was used between the two kids would any app purchased be able to be downloaded/installed on both devices? It seems to me that you would need to purchase them individually.

Upvote 0
Ok, then you and I are both on the same page. This isn't an account that they will actively be using, just one that would be used to get things started with the phone. I'm thinking something like this may be useful as well Android Protector. I know that content rating is coming to the Android Market but does anyone know exactly when that will happen?

Your last paragraph was something I was also interested in. If we created one account that was used between the two kids would any app purchased be able to be downloaded/installed on both devices? It seems to me that you would need to purchase them individually.

yes. but it's something you do, but never talk about.... people get their feelings hurt about sharing paid apps.

I know they are cheap apps, but I share cable at the house and don't run 3 seperate accounts to my house, I share home phone and don't run 3 seperate accounts to my house, I share electricity and don't run 3 seperate accounts to my house, I share water and don't run 3 seperate accounts to my house. So why should I have to pay for 3 separate apps within the same household (or plan)

So I figure, as long as the other devices are on the same plan, there is nothing unethical about sharing paid for apps.

If I were to splice my cable and run it to my neighbor's house, that's different
If I were to create an account that my brother, his family, me and my family, my parents, cousins, my best friend, and whoever else all use, that would be ENTIRELY different because we all have separate accounts

Upvote 0
So I figure, as long as the other devices are on the same plan, there is nothing unethical about sharing paid for apps.

Well, there is a fine line here. What about something like an OS that is licensed specifically for one machine? Technically it is unethical and illegal to use your windows disc to upgrade all of your machines. Now, to be quite frank, I am not sure what the clause is for this situation specifically under the android market. I do know that the Apple Appstore, for example, lets you install on a set number of devices (I do believe that number is 5, but not 100% certain).

FWIW, I don't disagree with your thought process, just saying that it all truly depends on the fine prin (which I admittedly have yout to look through).

Upvote 0
I got my daughter's gmail account before she was 13 in her name. She didn't even know about it for a few years or that her phone was signed into something.

I got her the account early because I wanted her to have a decent gmail account when she got older and not her name with a bunch of strange numbers after it.

Now she knows all about gmail and signing in and how her chrome browser tracks her searches, etc. She only occasionally checks gmail.

To this day.....she has NO CLUE what her password is. Only I do.

And depending on how busy I am, I check her accounts once+ per day.

Upvote 0
yes. but it's something you do, but never talk about.... people get their feelings hurt about sharing paid apps.

Your justifications for stealing the efforts of others is just sad, redefining the word 'unethical' even more so. There are developers out there who rely on the income generated by selling an app for a couple of bucks, knowing that most people won't pay up, but that enough do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones