1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to create an alarm on Android device by sending an email from a PC

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Helldweller, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Helldweller

Helldweller Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2013
    Hi

I am looking for a way to create an event or an alarm by sending an email. For example sending an email from my PC to my Gmail account (probably with a certain format) to create an alarm at a certain time.

Here is the application scenario:

At 10am, during the working hours, one remembers that he/she needs to make a call to a friend at 9pm , it is difficult to take the phone out and set an alarm on the device in the office. It would be very convenient if one could send an email from his/her PC at work to create an alarm on the android device.

Appreciate if you could share your thoughts on this and advise an app or a way to do so.

Thanks
    HD

Advertisement

2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Probably the ifttt android app could do that. But I don't like all the permissions.

Different approach
    1 set up delayed email to yourself with gmail delayed send feature (Google gmail delayed send). Include a special keyword in that email.

2 set up gmail filter to notify you by sms upon receipt of gmail with that particular keyword

3 if you're standard sms notification is not enough, you can use tasker to generate special tones to alert you whenever sms is received with the specified keyword

#2 electricpete, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Helldweller likes this.
  3. Helldweller

Helldweller Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2013
    Hi electricpete
    Thanks for your post. IFTTT option takes too much energy to make the whole workflow perfect. I do not have access to Gmail at work, so that is not applicable. I believe there should be an app capable to do so. I asked colleagues and almost everyone was so excited about possibility of having such app. Shouldn't be that difficult to develop I guess.
    Cheers,
    HD

4. electricpete

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    You can get to gmail if you can get to a web browser, so I'm not sure why you don't want that three step option. It does take a little time to set up. I make heavy use of gmail delayed send, gmail filters, and tasker myself so it's easy for me

I googled and found two more options

Here's an option sticking close to Google (I gather it allows you to do things similar to Google voice command including setting alarms)
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-...set-alarms-reminders-notes-directions_id68707

And here's another option (app)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.remotealarmclock

I haven't tried either option in this post

#4 electricpete, Jun 1, 2016
    Helldweller and Phalon4 like this.
  5. Helldweller

Helldweller Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2013
    G'day electricpete
    Appreciate your suggestions. It is not all ok to access Gmail or Google calendar where I work. Instead we are always on Outlook. The app you suggested seems to be very good!
    Cheers,
    HD

6. electricpete

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Sounds like hyou've got a plan. I was curious about one thing though.
    I work in a pretty strict corporate environment with computers managed by central IT. MS products (outlook etc) are provided over the LAN. We aren't allowed to install any program at all on our computer other than what the LAN gives us. But we can visit gmail.com on our internet explorer browser... which is all that is needed. If I'm understanding correctly it is prohibited to visit that website from your workplace?

Helldweller likes this.
  7. Helldweller

Helldweller Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2013
    We have an open office with desks right next to each other. We have free access to web at any time and it is not explicitly prohibited, but during the work hours people do not visit personal web pages such as Gmail. We have a mandatory lunch break of half an hour (in our office in Melbourne) and we can do whatever we like including personal internet browsing, yet at no point we have access to Yahoo mail. Odd? I know!

electricpete likes this.
  8. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2016
    Try going into your Settings and then notifications. Set a ringtone for your email on your Android for incoming email. Also you can set a different notification or alarm for any email app on the Android.
    If you would like to get creative with your alarm or notification just download something from Zedge app. Then you can send an email from any device of your choice to make an alarm, because after an email is received to the Android, a notification will be activated\ vibrate. Or was you looking for something more advanced than this option?

#8 Phalon4, Jun 1, 2016
    Helldweller and electricpete like this.
  9. Helldweller

Helldweller Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2013
    G'day Phalon4,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I am looking for something simple yet efficient.I 'll give it a try to your solution.
    Cheers,
    HD

10. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2016
    If you need more help on setting up an alarm \ notifications\ vibration for a pacific Android email app. Just leave a post in here because there's a conglomeration of intelligent guys in here that well be more than willing to assist you in navigating you through that process if I don't respond back to you in a timely manner.

#10 Phalon4, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016