• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How to decompile and modify APK file/s?

From what I understand and can see from Google searches, de-compiling is usually the easy part, and it's not uncommon to get Java exceptions when trying to do this which I assume it related to recent changes in how the .apk files are being packaged-up and protected by the IDEs the their selected obfuscation / protection packages.

Also, unless you know the smali language these tools produce and can figure-out all of the resource dependencies, it will be pretty difficult to make much sense of the output being produced, never mind actually changing the code and recompiling to produce something useful (i.e., that runs at all).

I do know of folks that have obviously done this--usually to "theme" an app that they fancied--but doing so and sharing it with a wider audience is generally frowned-upon and is one of the main reasons why people are encouraged from only obtaining their apps from trusted and original sources like the Play Store.

Upvote 0
is their any opensource tools for decompiling? can you link me one thanks in advance.

Been a very long while since I've visited this thread and it looks like a new user has taken over the original posters work, but here's the link that initial thread description:

Originally Posted by Brut.all, Updated by iBotPeaches

It is a tool for reengineering 3rd party, closed, binary Android apps. It can decode resources to nearly original form and rebuild them after making some modifications; it makes possible to debug smali code step by step. Also it makes working with app easier because of project-like files structure and automation of some repetitive tasks like building apk, etc.

It is NOT intended for piracy and other non-legal uses. It could be used for localizing, adding some features or support for custom platforms and other GOOD purposes. Just try to be fair with authors of an app, that you use and probably like.

Be sure to also see their "Thread Guidelines" listed near the end of the first post:

1. If you don't know the following terms (aapt, apk, java) - then please don't post in this thread.
  2. If you didn't install frameworks (see FrameworkFiles) - then do that first before asking.
  3. If you want to engage in developer discussions - then post here.
  4. If you want to thank someone or express gratitude - sure why not post here.
  5. If your building from source - do not post those snapshot builds in this thread as we mix builds and makes users confused.
  6. If you believe you've found a bug, I'd prefer you post here: Bug List - but I won't be mad if you post it in this thread.
  7. If you send me a PM about Apktool support, I will ignore it.
  8. If you post any stacktraces, error logs or console output. Use Ubuntu Paste or Pastebin. Don't clutter our thread with 200 line posts.
  9. If you need support. Search this thread. If no luck, post your problem, but please include either an apk / output / log.
Cheers!

Upvote 0
While the above is interesting information, I'm always conscious of the use of such tools for piracy, which really annoys me. Not suggesting for one second that's the case here, I'm just aware of piracy problems on Google Play, and it's completely unfair to the original developer.
So I personally would not promote use of such tools, or offer any information on how to use them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones