• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to delete built in apps on Droid-Rooted

If you're rooted you can do this through the terminal. I believe you have to mount the filesystem first, as follows:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

IIRC, then you can delete the apps. Deleting is a bad idea though, in case you ever need to restore them. The best thing to do is rename them by changing the extension. Using .bak is a common practice. You would navigate to the system folder after mounting and do something like this:

mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak

That would change the Corporate Calendar app so it is no longer a valid application. If you ever need to restore it, you can just "mv" backwards so it's an APK again.

If I made a mistake here, please correct me. It's been a while since I used linux and I'm not an expert on Android terminal commands.

Upvote 0
If you're rooted you can do this through the terminal. I believe you have to mount the filesystem first, as follows:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

IIRC, then you can delete the apps. Deleting is a bad idea though, in case you ever need to restore them. The best thing to do is rename them by changing the extension. Using .bak is a common practice. You would navigate to the system folder after mounting and do something like this:

mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak

That would change the Corporate Calendar app so it is no longer a valid application. If you ever need to restore it, you can just "mv" backwards so it's an APK again.

If I made a mistake here, please correct me. It's been a while since I used

linux and I'm not an expert on Android terminal commands.

Wait why couldnt i just redownload a .apk file of it???

Upvote 0
Wait why couldnt i just redownload a .apk file of it???

Just don't delete them. You can't re-download them unless you find them somewhere from a person who manually uploaded the files. They're not on the market.

Trust me, just don't do it. If you ever need them back you're going to have a very, very hard time. They barely take up any space when renamed to .bak files, and it prevents them from running so they're not ever sitting in your RAM or bothering you, but they are still there if you need to restore them.

If you ever try to update to 2.1 or something and you do not have those apps, you could brick your phone.

Upvote 0
Here's a reason why you don't delete stock apps.

Scenario: I use Handcent for messaging. I do NOT use that stupid stock Messaging app. I think to myself, "Hey, I'll just delete that stupid messaging.apk file and be done with it once and for all.". But once I do that, the Handcent app doesn't receive anymore texts because it depends on the stock Messaging app. Because I deleted the Messaging.apk file, I AM SCREWED! Had I just renamed it to Messaging.apk.bak ... all I would've had to do is rename it back and I'd be in business.

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0
Hey all. Brand new here with a three week old moto droid. I've been searching around reading about common gripes and faqs regarding the phone in its factory state and its led me to the whole "rooting your phone" business. I've a pretty good grasp on how the task is performed but that's where my grasp let's go. After you root, to take advantage of it do you have to be fluent in linux lingo or is there something that let's even the linux-challenged have fun with this stuff?

Upvote 0
Alright, thanks. So root explorer will allow me to change a few anoying apps to .bak files...sweet. what about using the phone as a modem for my PC and other such really cool things? I know my way around windows, but I've never even tried to use linux code. I would venture a guess that the cooler things you can do probably are done with manual code input.

Upvote 0
Just don't delete them. You can't re-download them unless you find them somewhere from a person who manually uploaded the files. They're not on the market.

Trust me, just don't do it. If you ever need them back you're going to have a very, very hard time. They barely take up any space when renamed to .bak files, and it prevents them from running so they're not ever sitting in your RAM or bothering you, but they are still there if you need to restore them.

If you ever try to update to 2.1 or something and you do not have those apps, you could brick your phone.

When you update the phone do you have to go back in and rename them again?

what exactly does it mean to have your droid rooted?

what do you mean when you had a custom rom?

thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones