• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to delete contacts without a phone number?

jack40k

Lurker
Jun 29, 2011
Hey guys,

Recently bought the Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3.3. Really liking it so far - however I just sent a text message (or so I thought) to 10 contacts from my contacts list. After I sent the message I went and checked over it and realised that it has been sent as an MMS. Strange. Well it turns out one of the contacts only had an email address and the message application had used this by default! Annoying! I get free SMS to all numbers in Australia but NOT free MMS, so I'm now paying for 10 MMS messages I just sent to people because ONE was an email :/

How can I prevent this?

I've tried another messaging application, I used Handcent SMS and it crashes when I try to enter contacts.

I do not want to delete my Facebook contacts - I would simply prefer to be notified that I am sending something to an email address (thought that would have been standard). However if I must delete some Facebook contacts, how can I delete ONLY the ones without a phone number?

In other words, can I cut my contacts back to just those who have a phone number?

Cheers (and sorry for the long question),

Jack.

After a long research..i have figured out how to acheive this...
Removing contacts from gmail/android device which dont have phone numbers.
Note: First Pls take a backup of your gmail contacts first for emergency purpose, if things go wrong.

Basically, over a period of time, gmail accumulates lots of junk mails, which keep getting added automatically whenever you reply to someone. when you sych androind, all these mails start appearing in your phone address book, which is very annoying :(

Steps, which can remove these redundant things to a large extent

1: Export all the contacts from gmail contacts to csv(outlook) format. download this to pc.
2: Open this csv file in excel and put a filter to the first row, which has the header info. Go to the primary phone coloums and select all entries except for blanks & you will get rows with phone nos only. copy these rows with numbers and paste to separate worksheet. Repeat the same with applying filetrs for phone coloums (primary, home, mobile etc) one by one only ! not all together..
3: Now, you have the worksheet with entries having phone nos only (There will be some duplicates, dont worry for now)
4: Some of the no entries will be long and so truncated. make all those coloms as number with no decimals(format cells). Now, this file cant be saved in csv..
5: Save this as MS text format, which can be uploaded in gmail. you can see complete number. also, gmail has this provision of removing duplicates ;)

this exercise should be good enough on how to tackle the individual contact groups within gmail.

Hope this helps !

Ravi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones