• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to delete default ringtones?

I don't have many complaints about the Epic at all. However, this is one that I do have.

I hate the ringtones and notifications and notifications that come on the phone. All I want are some simple, standard ringtones for things like a telephone ringer.

I downloaded what I want from Zedge, and I thought that that was that. How wrong I was on that count!

If you mount your phone when you connect to the PC (which is how I pretty much end my day), and then you forget to unmount it or turn it off, the phone won't see the ringtone that you downloaded since there is no way (without rooting) to move the ringtone to phone from the SD card. At least for me, the ringtone that goes off when a call comes in (which always happens when I am asleep) is loud, annoying, and doesn't stop (or is so long that I have never been able to outlast it). I think it is the alarm clock or something. I have to get out of bed, walk down to the room with the phone, and unmount or shut off the phone. What a pain! :mad:

I can understand that the manufacture wants to protect certain things. However, they could at least supply many ringtones/notifications, or allow us to download them from their web site into the phone. That way, we get something that always works, and they keep their protection. How about it, Samsung? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I don't have many complaints about the Epic at all. However, this is one that I do have.

I hate the ringtones and notifications and notifications that come on the phone. All I want are some simple, standard ringtones for things like a telephone ringer.

I downloaded what I want from Zedge, and I thought that that was that. How wrong I was on that count!

If you mount your phone when you connect to the PC (which is how I pretty much end my day), and then you forget to unmount it or turn it off, the phone won't see the ringtone that you downloaded since there is no way (without rooting) to move the ringtone to phone from the SD card. At least for me, the ringtone that goes off when a call comes in (which always happens when I am asleep) is loud, annoying, and doesn't stop (or is so long that I have never been able to outlast it). I think it is the alarm clock or something. I have to get out of bed, walk down to the room with the phone, and unmount or shut off the phone. What a pain! :mad:

I can understand that the manufacture wants to protect certain things. However, they could at least supply many ringtones/notifications, or allow us to download them from their web site into the phone. That way, we get something that always works, and they keep their protection. How about it, Samsung? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the phone won't see the ringtone. I just add my edited ringtones in a stand-alone folder in my memory card titled "ringtones" then I set the ringtones I want for my ringer.

My problem was that when you go through the ringtones list, they merge all your custom ringtones in addition to the phone's native ringtones in alphabetical order.

By the way, Kelmar, are there instructions on how to root a phone on this forum? Is it easy?

Upvote 0
I have a file that has almost a hundred ringtones from htc phones that I've been using since I had my moment that has a few decent ones in it. I even added them to my evo when I got it since it didn't have most of them. I also just made a folder called ringers on the sd card and dumped them in. I think I had to manually select the first one and assign it as a ringer and then it picked them all up and they're listed in the ringtone picker now.

Upvote 0
Okay, now be nice to the low-tech lady here...ummm. Downloaded ringtones I wanted (they appear as downloads on sim card) from Zedge. But when I tried to link the tone with the contact, it said there were no ringtones available! What is this rooting? Will I loose the Zedge ringtones I want if I do that? My phone is a Verizon Droid Razr Maxx. Can you give me a step-by-step on this? Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones