• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to determine your screen

Did you try looking in the all things root sticky? And talking to you like I do my first grader wouldn't do you much good, she already knows how to root and rom an Optimus V.

How did that help? Really. What the poster was humbly asking for was an explanation they could understand. I'm an educated person and after reading the entire sticky and then some, I still have questions.

Like myself, a lot of people do in fact read the stickies before asking questions.
And I doubt seriously that is is the norm for first graders to be able to follow the technicalities of rooting a phone. A few, maybe, the norm...uh...no.
If it was that easy, I guess there wouldn't be the volumes upon volumes of questions from those over 6 or 7 years old all over this forum and across the Internet. And we wouldn't need so many different threads on how to root.
I do believe a normal 6 or 7 year old child has better things to do than root mobile phones. Like learn to play well with others? That's my opinion.

Does anyone really think people would rather get condescending replies if they were able to avoid it by reading?

I do believe the good folks who run this forum have made it clear that helping people is the goal. Can we just please give people the benefit of the doubt that maybe, just maybe they HAVE read the stickies and come here asking questions because they still need a little extra help? Is that really so bad? If questions are intolerable, then maybe the forums should just be closed and the stickies made available for reading only?

Geez..I sure hope when I finally master this rooting thing that I understand that those new to it are where I once was and can lend a helpful hand rather than shove at them a reminder of their "lacking". If all I can do is provide a link back to the stickies in reponse to their questions maybe I'd be best to not reply? Maybe?

Upvote 0
We always link people back to the stickies as it is a good place to start when you are new to all this. The stickies do provide a good bit of good information and help prevent duplicate posts all over the forum. If after reading the stickies or searching the forum there is still a question or any uncertainty we are happy to help.

The easiest method is to use terminal emulator and type in the command that exProphecy posted in his post which are from the sticky linked above. Type these one at a time and whichever one displays a bunch of code after will tell you your screen... either hitachi or novatek, if you get just a # prompt, that is not your screen type

dmesg | grep hitachi

dmesg | grep novatek

*you can get the little | by pressing the ?123 to switch to number entry then the shift button.

Terminal will run these codes on a rooted or not rooted phone and if you don't have it you can get it in the play store

Reactions: AirCatHeavy
Upvote 0
We always link people back to the stickies as it is a good place to start when you are new to all this. The stickies do provide a good bit of good information and help prevent duplicate posts all over the forum. If after reading the stickies or searching the forum there is still a question or any uncertainty we are happy to help.

The easiest method is to use terminal emulator and type in the command that exProphecy posted in his post which are from the sticky linked above. Type these one at a time and whichever line you get a bunch of code after will tell you your screen... either hitachi or novatek, if you get just a # prompt, that is not your screen type

dmesg | grep hitachi

dmesg | grep novatek

*you can get the little | by pressing the ?123 to switch to number entry then the shift button.

Type these one at a time and your screen is whichever line you get a bunch of code after.. either hitachi or novatek. Terminal will run these codes on a rooted or not rooted phone and if you don't have it you can get it in the play store

Now thats "Helpful" information...finallly :)

Reactions: kwknott
Upvote 0
There is my personal problem: If I try to install Busybox from the market it downloads it and installs the basic setup I guess. After pressing the open button it tries to install the program. I again press the install button and it shows me following message: ' I am uncertain to verify weather or not certain utilities needed for this application to run are present and functional on your device.
This problem could be caused by a device that is not properly rooted or by superuser settings that are misconfigure. Please try the install again.

Additional to that it show me following line:

Busybox is installed to: permission denied,
which changes to
'location of Busybox could not be determined' after starting the smart install process.

Can someone help me here?

Upvote 0
It's my first android phone so I dont know exactly what that all means. What do you mean with the 'stock ROM'? I installed Superuser (which I didnt have before and which I still dont know what it's there for) and downloaded jrummy's Busybox. Only gives me the option to choose versions down to 1.14 .
Why am I the only one with that issue?

Upvote 0
I dont get it: I thought the purpose of installing busybox is that I can use this grep command in the terminal and find out which screen I have BEFORE I root my device. Btw. I tipped only dmesg and it gave me lots of infos includes something with hatachi inbetween. Is that proof enough? I dont wanna wreck my phone because I love it so far but hate to be limited. What I dont really get is why this rooting process seems so ****ing complicated, to be frank? I hope you dont mind. They are so many choices and I really dont know which is the best. Isnt it the case that some rooting setups or roms are fine for both screens? Why are the other files then even still relevant? Can someone simply tell me what is the best and easiest way to do it or at least tell me the purpose of having 20 options? And why do I need Busybox 1.8.2 and cant find it on the market and everyone else seems not to have a problem at all? I bought mine 2 days ago btw.

Upvote 0
I dont get it: I thought the purpose of installing busybox is that I can use this grep command in the terminal and find out which screen I have BEFORE I root my device. Btw. I tipped only dmesg and it gave me lots of infos includes something with hatachi inbetween. Is that proof enough? I dont wanna wreck my phone because I love it so far but hate to be limited. What I dont really get is why this rooting process seems so ****ing complicated, to be frank? I hope you dont mind. They are so many choices and I really dont know which is the best. Isnt it the case that some rooting setups or roms are fine for both screens? Why are the other files then even still relevant? Can someone simply tell me what is the best and easiest way to do it or at least tell me the purpose of having 20 options? And why do I need Busybox 1.8.2 and cant find it on the market and everyone else seems not to have a problem at all? I bought mine 2 days ago btw.

In order to install Busybox you first have to have root access to the system to install it to the /system/xbin. The first guide in the All Things Root Guide sticky is just what you need. My first V took several tries with the Gingerbreak. The spare I just bought took one try and less than a minute (2.2.1). 2.2.2 V's take 4-8 tries, but it won't mess up your phone.
You can also follow the ZV9 update guide, but this will update the data radio which has mixed results in performance.
2.2.2 V's are the ones that have an Hitachi screen, except some really early (August-November) 2.2.2's which came with either one or the other. All 2.2.1 V's came with the Novatek screen.

Reactions: warschau
Upvote 0
Thank you very much giving me some tips. I am rooting it right now. Do I have to worry if it take over 10 minutes because it already does? Should I hardreset it if nothing changes? Which app can I use to make a backup before playing a new rom on it if everything should turn out ok with the rooting process?
Which guide did you use? If you used the first one then after 12 minutes if it doesn't rebot your phone: Pull your battery and try again. After it is rooted check to see if you have the Super user app in the app drawer. If yes go to the market and update the app by going to your MY Apps section.

Then download and install AppTyrant (one word). It will back up all your apk's to the sd card.
Install Titanium Backup and use it to back up just the apps you need to save the data (it sometimes freeze's on installing some app's so just use it to backup apps that have data that you need to save). This will save space on the sd card, as opposed to running a full backup of all apps and data.

Download jrummy16's Busybox installer and follow ^ advice given.

Install the recovery mentioned in the Guide you are using. Make a backup in the recovery (this is very important).

Before I had to step down as a guide because of health reasons I tried to ensure that all info in the ATR (All Things Root) Guide was as easy to understand as possible. If you read it first, then ask questions you will find you don't need to ask as many questions. If there is something that needs updating let benslgdroid know.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I will follow through with that. The rooting doesnt work at the moment. When I start it it tell me that it will root and the wheel is circling but nothing happens. It wont even tell me that it failed. I let it run for like an hour. So wierd. I have Superuser already installed. Do I have to deinstall before rooting? I have the SDCard inside an working and made a hook to Debugging Mode. It's connected to my pc but I havent pressed any additional buttons so the device wont show up in my computerdevices as a harddrive. That's all correct, right?

Upvote 0
Thank you. I will follow through with that. The rooting doesnt work at the moment. When I start it it tell me that it will root and the wheel is circling but nothing happens. It wont even tell me that it failed. I let it run for like an hour. So wierd. I have Superuser already installed. Do I have to deinstall before rooting? I have the SDCard inside an working and made a hook to Debugging Mode. It's connected to my pc but I havent pressed any additional buttons so the device wont show up in my computerdevices as a harddrive. That's all correct, right?
Delete Superuser app.
If you have USB Debugging enabled then it will work.
If after 12 minutes the Gingerbreak.apk doesn't reboot your phone pull the battery and try again. If you have a 2.2.2 Android OS V then it could take up to 10 tries. Make sure you don't have a lot of stuff on the sd card. Transfer the contents of the sd card to your PC. Keep the Gingerbreak.apk on the sd card.
Follow the guide and make sure you install a custom recovery and then make a backup of the system in the recovery. This is called a nandroid backup and is similar to a restore point on a PC. This is very important. Make sure the battery is fully charged and give it another try.

Note: The nandroid backup is stored on the sd card in the clockworkmod folder. Remember the nandroid is like a restore point, every time you make any major changes to the installed ROM or get a lot of app updates you want to update the nandroid by making another backup in the recovery and deleting the old one in the clockworkmod folder.

If you have trouble installing the recovery lets us know.

Once you got a recovery and a nandroid you should work on installing Busybox to the /system/xbin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones