1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to diagnose phone slowing down

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NewArtDroid, Sep 4, 2017.

1. NewArtDroid

NewArtDroid Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Male
    New York City area
    My phone is getting slower and slower to respond to touches. I'm just waiting sometimes. I don't know what's wrong. Some of you may remember Motorola gave me a new phone in March (vertical line thread). Is there anything I can do to diagnose the cause of this slow phone, short of doing a factory reset and reinstalling all my Apps?

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    The first step is to do a Wipe Cache Partition. It can become contaminated over time and cause all manner of performance problems.

... Thom

Dannydet likes this.
  3. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    One method is to do a factory reset and reinstall only the most important apps - or uninstall all apps that you don't need without the factory reset. Unfortunately, Android doesn't really give you good tools to completely diagnose when any app is affecting your phone like this. So, use built-in apps for as much as possible and only install apps that do critical things that the built-in apps can't do, and get rid of apps that don't do that.

You can start by deleting apps you don't critically need one at a time, one day at a time, until you find the one (or all) that cause the phone to act like that.

4. NewArtDroid

Apr 26, 2013
    Male
    New York City area
    Wipe Cache Partition definitely helped.

doogald and Thom like this.
  5. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Two step process ...

Wipe Cache Partition that doesn't evade what you have installed. If the problem is still there ... Factory Data Reset and slowly add apps back.

Almost all performance problems are corrected with a Wipe Cache Partition ... unless there is an intentionally nasty app.

The one thing to be aware of ... very old games kept progress data in the Cache partition. When you wiped it the progress data was lost. All modern games are safe ... it is just some very old games.

... Thom

6. Cyberdev

Cyberdev Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Sep 12, 2014
    Male
    Daily YouTuber
    Tampa, FL
    Agreeed on all responses but heres why the phone can possibly slow down

• Overheating (CPU may be overhating and is thermal throttling to keep itself cool)

• Certain apps are coded notbvery good and can be possibility their causing alot of stress on the CPU/GPU while other apps are trying to get some processes done at the sametime such as Facebook & Messenger

• RAM Usage is too high (this can be another factor in phone being slow as theirs low ram free for the CPU to gain access to try closing some apps)

• Cache may needs to be cleaned out in Storage or using in your recovery you can clean your cache partition

7. NewArtDroid

Apr 26, 2013
    Male
    New York City area
    Before I did the wipe, my phone was getting hot. Since the wipe, it is not.

8. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Wipe Cache Partition is overlooked (unknown) to a lot of people. It solves a lot of performance related problems.

On the Turbo it would run for 10-12 min. On the Turbo 2 it runs for 1-2 sec. I have never seen an explanation.

I do a Wipe Cache Partition every Saturday as part of weekly maintenance. Too much for a lot of people. At least every couple of months would be a good idea.

... Thom