1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to disable Gmail IMAP?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by JohnnyScience, Oct 25, 2014.

1. JohnnyScience

JohnnyScience Newbie

I initially setup my new droid phone with the gmail app and it setup an IMAP connection.

Now I use the standard email client because I monitor multiple emails.

I deleted & removed my gmail account (or so I thought) but yet when I'm logged onto my gmail account on my home computer I still have an IMAP folder showing 500+ emails.

How do I break this connection?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

You must have deleted the account from the phone only. If you actually deleted the account you would not be able to login. As long as the account is active you will keep seeing email in the account online, even if not on the phone.

3. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

You should be able to set an IMAP to delete emails as read. I use Thunderbird on the computer and I can set up IMAP to delete. There is a similar control in Aquamail. Like you, I have multiple accounts, including one that can grab mail from Yahoo.

Set your preferences in whatever you use on the computer. Thunderbird does have settings to delete mail from server when read or you delete. You have to set it up, it isn't automatic. I have both set to delete when I delete. You can have sent messages deleted also. I will find those at times and clean them out.

I have not deleted the Gmail accounts from the computer. I just get all mail through IMAP. I do log in once in a while just to make sure nothing is turned on or added without my knowing about it.

4. JohnnyScience

JohnnyScience Newbie

I can remove the label inside of gmail but it seems to come back.

Does anyone know how to disable it permanently off of the android phone?

5. zuben el genub

Look in your account options on whatever you use on the phone. I use Aquamail, and I'm pretty sure K9 mail both have the same option to control IMAP push in the app.

Thunderbird lets you tell IMAP to delete email from IMAP folder when you delete from Thunderbird.

6. JohnnyScience

JohnnyScience Newbie

I set it up through the gmail app, but can't seem to make it fully disconnect?

7. zuben el genub

You need IMAP to get the mail on whatever email app you are using. I, too, have deleted GMail from the phone since I prefer the IMAP or POP3 when I can use it.

There has to be a setting in the email account you are using to tell IMAP when and where to save, push, whatever. If you are using the basic email that came with the phone, it might not have the preference. You would have to find an email app that let you control all your mail from whatever service - Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.

One time I forgot to tell IMAP not to save sent mail. I had a few sent emails to delete. Changed preferences in email app.

8. jungleexplorer

jungleexplorer Android Enthusiast

Your default google account on your phone will automatically set up an email account for itself in the Gmail app. Go to your google account on your phone (Setting, Accounts) and then looking at your syncing options. Make sure your phone is not set to sync email from your google account.

9. JohnnyScience

JohnnyScience Newbie

Ok so I went to Settings>accounts>Google and it seems it was still syncing push notifications. I'm pretty sure I already disabled it, but either way I disabled it again. Hopefully this takes care of it.

Thanks for the help guys.