• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to disable notifications when you're in your sms app...

Ivan34

Mar 25, 2010
I have had an Android since the nexus one came out, but work forced me to get an iphone this summer. Well I ditched the work phone and went on my own and got the new Note.

Now the only thing I really liked about the iphone, was that when you had the sms app open it didn't set off your notification when you got a text.

I have searched the internet, and I'm either not searching with the correct phrase, no one wants this feature, or I'm just an idiot and am blind, but I can't not find a way to do this.

FTR I have go sms, but have no issues using handcent if it can do it but not go.

Yeah I know what you mean. The only way I can think of doing it is using llama. If you set up an event to silence notifications when user present it will not beep/ping but it won't do it when in other applications either. You would then need another event to turn it back on when user not present as well.

It has a system where you can change the notification sounds of other apps as well (the ones that have their own ringtone) but it is a little tricky to set up for that if you hasn't used it before.

Let me know if you need help with it.

Reactions: Ivan34
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones