• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to disable OTA ZV7 MM update on rooted stock, Boost Stylo?

tc15

Dec 7, 2015
I was shocked today to see a notification on one of my 2 Stylos that the MM update was downloaded and ready to install. I checked my other Stylo and, sure enough, the update.zip file was in its system cache folder too, though I had not gotten a notification on the second Stylo. I was surprised because I had used Titanium Backup on both Stylos to freeze 3 system apps: App Updates, Software Update, and Update Center. I double checked and all 3 apps are still frozen on both Stylos.

Is there anything else I can freeze to prevent any further OTA downloading? I would like to remove these large files from the system cache folder, but I'm afraid if I do, they will just redownload again.

I don't want to update to MM anytime soon because there is no support for adoptable storage and Link2SD does not work with MM.

Also, I cannot get rid of the notification. Swiping it away doesn't work. Will it go away if I simply remove update.zip from the cache folder?

Last edited:
Mine used alot of data trying to keep downloading it..i read there is an app on play store called disable services download it click system apps tab search for play services tap it then scroll down to system update service uncheck it.
Screenshot_2016-01-19-23-25-14[1].png
Screenshot_2016-01-19-23-25-40[1].png

Upvote 0
The OTA update blew through the data allotment on one of my Stylos phones, costing me money, and I am pissed at Google/LG for not giving me the option of declining the download. It downloaded on mobile data, and when I removed update.zip from the system cache folder, it simply downloaded by itself again.

In reading up on the problem, someone said to disable Sprint_Installer.apk plus Sprint_Installer.odex by adding “.bak” to the end of the files. Instead, I froze the app in Titanium Backup. There, it’s called Mobile Installer. So far it seems to be working and I am on longer getting the update.

But thanks for the suggestion about DisableService. I downloaded it anyway to have a look, and it seems like it can be a very useful app. I like its granularity, and I may be able to use it for something else in the future, or for stopping updates if freezing Mobile Installer doesn’t work long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: TegraDroid
Upvote 0
The OTA update blew through the data allotment on one of my Stylos phones, costing me money, and I am pissed at Google/LG for not giving me the option of declining the download. It downloaded on mobile data, and when I removed update.zip from the system cache folder, it simply downloaded by itself again.

In reading up on the problem, someone said to disable Sprint_Installer.apk plus Sprint_Installer.odex by adding “.bak” to the end of the files. Instead, I froze the app in Titanium Backup. There, it’s called Mobile Installer. So far it seems to be working and I am on longer getting the update.

Is freezing Mobile Installer still working for you?

For me, I'm actually enjoying my G Stylo on VM unrooted. But the motherf%^&ing VM servers have already loaded the MM update three times while I'm on cell phone data! I'm already at 83% of the 2 GB data pack I got from VM just a week ago! (A few hours ago, I got the 85% warning text message. Turned off data when I got that. Was close to home anyhow.) It's not really Google or LG we should be mad at, it's the carriers. I don't think Nexus users have to to put up with this s%^t.

I may be forced to root just to keep out the update! Not sure if I'll back up the data, so I can reformat my SD card to take on using Link2SD. I don't lack experience in using that. It's just that I really love the phone as is... *sigh* At least if I root, I should be able to extract the update zip if I change my mind later... especially if a future update fixes the adoptable storage, AND the Move to SD function. Better yet, if someone finds an exploit to root under MM... with Link2SD or similar app working... THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

Upvote 0
Is freezing Mobile Installer still working for you?

For me, I'm actually enjoying my G Stylo on VM unrooted. But the motherf%^&ing VM servers have already loaded the MM update three times while I'm on cell phone data! I'm already at 83% of the 2 GB data pack I got from VM just a week ago! (A few hours ago, I got the 85% warning text message. Turned off data when I got that. Was close to home anyhow.) It's not really Google or LG we should be mad at, it's the carriers. I don't think Nexus users have to to put up with this s%^t.

I may be forced to root just to keep out the update! Not sure if I'll back up the data, so I can reformat my SD card to take on using Link2SD. I don't lack experience in using that. It's just that I really love the phone as is... *sigh* At least if I root, I should be able to extract the update zip if I change my mind later... especially if a future update fixes the adoptable storage, AND the Move to SD function. Better yet, if someone finds an exploit to root under MM... with Link2SD or similar app working... THAT WOULD BE GREAT!
Unfortunately, disabling/freezing Mobile Installer did not work. I noticed just today that the update once again downloaded by itself. I am really mad at Google as I think they are responsible for the actual distribution of the update, even if LG can decide what to put in it or not. It is distributed via Google Play Services, after all. The damn update just keeps coming back, like the Terminator, no matter how you try to stop it. One would think the carriers are paying Google a commission to distribute over mobile data & use sneaky background data, just so they could make more money when people go over their data limits!

At any rate, I am going to try the Disable Services app. Thanks, TegraDroid for the suggestion. That app seems to work so far. So for anyone else who wants to prevent the pesky update, forget freezing/disabling apps that came with your Stylo. An additional third-party app may be the only answer.

It doesn’t appear MM has any significant advantages over Lollipop, so as of now, I don’t plant to ever go over to MM – even if they eventually get root on it. There just doesn’t seem to be any upside to MM vs. Lollipop – and there are too many negatives.

For those who have already gone to MM and are missing Link2SD, there may be hope if someone ever finds root for it. I’ve been following the Apps2SD thread over at XDA, and its developer is not only very active there, but has plans to work on compatibility with MM. So maybe later this year, there will be a Link2SD clone that works well on rooted MM.

Upvote 0
I simply followed Viperdink's suggestions, and unchecked SystemUpdateService under the Disable Service app. Haven't gotten a prompt to download the MM update since then. So happy to have finally rooted my G Stylo! I use Bonick's Apps2SD, and have gained back nearly the same amount of free internal space the phone came with! I don't link data to the ext4 partition on the external SD, as that can slow down the phone.

Upvote 0
It was actually TegraDroid who first suggested the Disable Service app and even posted helpful screenshots showing exactly what service to disable.

When I first got the Stylo back in November, I tried Apps2SD but it was too glitchy. I know it's gone through many versions since then, and so it probably works much better now. Vicky Bonick is a really dedicated developer, and I hope people really support him and his app. Since the developer of Link2SD has stopped all updates, Bonick is the only hope for those who want a good third-party app for moving apps to the external card on MM and future Android versions.

As for moving the data portion of apps, I only have an issue with about 1 in 15 apps using Link2SD. I've even been able to move hundreds of MBs of map data for Google Maps to the external card with no issues. The 2nd partition on my external card is 11gb, and I have filled it up with 5.4gb of apps and data via Link2SD.

Hopefully manufacturers will start putting larger ROMs in more prepaid phones so there will be less and less need for these apps in the future. 16gb should be the minimum.

Reactions: daffyducknj
Upvote 0
I saw this thread where the author claims that simply disabling SystemUpdateService will cause a persistent wakelock with Google Play services and lead to battery drain...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3298080

Has anyone noticed this? I haven't yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Is there a way to tell for sure?

Unlike some in that thread, I do have the update.xml file, so I could make the tweak if necessary to fix the situation. But first I wanted to see if anyone knew if this is a valid concern.

Upvote 0
I saw this thread where the author claims that simply disabling SystemUpdateService will cause a persistent wakelock with Google Play services and lead to battery drain...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3298080

Has anyone noticed this? I haven't yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Is there a way to tell for sure?

Unlike some in that thread, I do have the update.xml file, so I could make the tweak if necessary to fix the situation. But first I wanted to see if anyone knew if this is a valid concern.

Haven't noticed too much drain on my end. I use Apps2sd, and tweaked the throttling CPU setting on that. On screen off/idle, the CPU governor is set at powersave, which sends the CPU speeds to all cores to the lowest programmed CPU speed. Not sure what that speed is, but I'm getting more battery life out of the phone than before it was rooted. My phone does use a bit more battery when it's active, as I changed the governor to ondemand, from interactive. Still, it's not much more than when it was not rooted. The 3,000 mAH battery has been really great for all day use!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
daffyduck... Good to know you are not seeing any unusual battery drain. I have been watching the battery levels on my two Stylos very carefully the last day or two and have yet to see anything unusual. In fact, on one of them, it is still showing 100% after 12 hours in sleep mode. It doesn't appear anyone on the Stylo has the issue described in that thread.

How is Apps2SD working for you? Everything working smoothly without glitches? Are there any user apps you've found can't be moved over at all without glitching?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW, did a bit of tooling around. Chose to use Kernel Aduitor for controlling the CPU speed and governor. Noticed that the lowest programmed CPU speed is 200 MHz. Programmed the lowest to 533, but the OS doesn't use it. Must be something in the build.prop settings (or something else), haven't looked up why. KA allows only one CPU governor to run at all times, so I decided to go back to the stock one, interactive. Also wanted KA as it lets me monitor CPU and battery temperatures.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones