• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to disable red underline for misspelled words?

chaser88

Lurker
May 8, 2011
Hi everyone,

I purchased Desire S a day ago and I'm happy with it. I'm new to android and I hope you could help.

Here is my problem: I want to turn off "red dotted line" for misspelled words when typing messages. I'm from non english speaking country, so I don't need spell correction, prediction, etc.. I turned all that stuff off. I've searched everywhere, googled and can't find the way to disable it. It's a little annoying when typing a message and there is that red line under each word.
Btw, it happens ONLY in full qwerty mode. If I change it to compact qwerty or phone keypad and type this way then everything is ok.

Is there any way to solve this?

Thanks

I have HTC Wildfire S from Orange Slovakia.

I have got the same problem - I cannot turn off spell correction (and "saving to dictionary option". There is not only annoying red underline, but it always select the whole word and offer me saving this word to my personal dictionary (orange colored text)

I turned off all predictions and spell corrections in settings but It doesn't work !!

What is very strange, it happens only in Standard QWERTY mode (keyboard type Standard and when I have my phone vertically !! )

When I change keyboard type to Compact or Phone, everything is working fine ( still underlines, but not gives me an option to save every word to dictionary)

Can you help me to solve this? Is my mobile wrong and should I return it to my reseller? :thinking:

My phone information:
Android version 2.3.3
Software number 1.33.401.2

My friend have the same phone and it works great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones