1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

how to disable/remove SmartFaceService

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SofTA, Aug 5, 2021.

1. SofTA

SofTA Newbie

Hello,
    I just installed an app called AntiStalker that monitors when apps use my camera or microphone. Some time ago, I covered the front & back cameras with electrical tape after hearing there is active facial scanning as a routine, and of course there's not much one can do to prevent an app from accessing the microphone.

Anyway, no sooner did I activate AntiStalker than it picked up dozens of system apps that were accessing these features, but SmartFaceService is extremely persistent in doing its job. It appears to be something that's particularly associated with Samsung devices (tho I'd bet other companies install similar apps), and it does not appear on a list of safe apps to uninstall/disable, which I found here: https://www.droidviews.com/list-of-...ng-galaxy-devices-that-can-be-safely-removed/

I would like some advice on how to proceed with removing/disabling this app.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

the only way would be to root the phone.

Dannydet likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'm sure that's a component used by the facial unlock.
    To remove it you'd definitely need to root and install an appropriate custom ROM.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. SofTA

SofTA Newbie

Thank you both for your replies.
    I understand this, and also that it's "supposed" to keep the screen awake while you're looking at it. But THAT feature has never worked on any Samsung phone I've had. IMO it's overkill to use this for waking the phone, as the gyro is sufficient. But I'm not going to root my phone to get rid of it.

Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus release date was March 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 8/12GB RAM, Exynos 9820 processor, and 4100mAh battery.

March 2019
Release Date
Reviews