• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to disable stock notifications on the top bar?

Fishfan

Mar 18, 2010
I'm not using BeholdII's Sms program, but Handscent instead. This means that when I click the '5 new notifications' thing at the top, it doesn't go away, because it doesn't see me as having opened messaging. How can I disable this and just use the HS notifications?

I'm not using BeholdII's Sms program, but Handscent instead. This means that when I click the '5 new notifications' thing at the top, it doesn't go away, because it doesn't see me as having opened messaging. How can I disable this and just use the HS notifications?

Hi I had this problem too. First what you're gonna have to do is replace TwMms.apk (the stock samsung messaging app). To do this you're going to have to root your phone. If you're new to android when you look at the directions other's have posted it may seem hard at first but in reality it's actually really easy (copy and paste instructions) when you get to that point this will make sense.

Ok now once your phone is rooted there is a couple of ways to get rid of TwMms. First, you can use commands in adb shell which other's have posted to remove the stock messaging app. I'll get the the second way in a bit. Once you've removed the stock app you'll have to install the stock android messaging app. Do some searches on google. There are a couple of versions out there. You may have to try one or two get picture messaging working. Once you install the stock android app open it go to settings and there you will be able to turn of notifications for text and picture messaging with out affecting other notifications. This will allow you to use hancent without double notifications. That said it brings me back to the second way to get rid of TwMms. Without removing it first when you install the android messaging app it will ask you if you want to overwrite the current app. Say yes and not you're good to go.

Finally, I use Astro File Manager found on the market to install apps I download of the internet and put on my sd card. This will take some internet searching and forum reading to educate yourself on rooting and such. I know it may sound like a lot of work just to be able to use handcent or chomp, but it's the only way to do it since samsung doesn't let you turn of sms notifications with out during of notifications all together. However you may find it worth it not having two sms notifications in your status bar when using handcent. Also, once your fun is rooted you can do other phone stuff like getting rid of T-Mobile/Samsung bloat ware so your phone runs even better.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
TwMms.apk

you can use Titanium Backup from the market to uninstall the stock messeging app. Then just download the apk above and copy it to the titanium backup folder and you can install it using titanium. That will open up the option to turn off notifications.

How the heck do I use this titanium program? Can't figure it out for the life of me.

And this one works with MMS and Vib on the NoTwiz rom?

Upvote 0
How the heck do I use this titanium program? Can't figure it out for the life of me.

And this one works with MMS and Vib on the NoTwiz rom?

Before you can use titanium you will need to go into the phones settings>applications>development and activate usb debugging.

The first time you run titanium the superuser app should pop up, click always allow.

In titanium click n the backup/restore tab. You hqve the ability to back up/uninstall any/all of the items listed. Scroll down until you find the app called Messeging and uninstall it.

You can use titanium or astro to install the apk you downloaded. First you will just need to place it in the folder for whichever app you want to use. Astros folder is
/backup/apps titaniums folder is /TitaniumBackup.

Upvote 0
I took of Messaging, and the replacement failed to install, but so far I don't seem to have any problems. Can I just go without it? Vib and better notifications work with Handscent, and Emails still notify too. Will MMS work?

Mms may work. All I can suggest is try sending an mms. I forgot I had the same problem getting twmms.apk to install with titanium. You should be able to get it to go with astro. You may need to reboot first.

Upvote 0
Found this post:

Original TwMms TwMms.apk
Place onto your sdcard ( Un-mount )
then do the Following
Quote:
adb shell
cat /sdcard/TwMms.apk > /system/app/TwMms.apk

I don't know how to root though. How to I get to where i type any of this?

I'm sorry, I have used this method myself. I don't know why astro isn't working.

You would type these into the command prompt on your computer with your usb hooked to your phone.

As a last resort you can redo odin. I hope it doesn't come to that for you. I am looking over my notes to see what I can figure out.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, I have used this method myself. I don't know why astro isn't working.

You would type these into the command prompt on your computer with your usb hooked to your phone.

As a last resort you can redo odin. I hope it doesn't come to that for you. I am looking over my notes to see what I can figure out.

Hey, can I get some form of information that that I can go through this with you step by step?

I've got AIM, Skype, etc…

I'm typing it into the prompt, but i'm sure i'm doing something wrong somewhere...

Upvote 0
Ok I have a quick and dirty way of getting it fixed. Do a reset of the phone through the settings menu. Then you will need to reinstall astro and use it to install messaging. I just did it myself and it worked. You will then have the option to turn off notfications. You will have to set up all of your apps again but this will fix it.

I am not at a computer at the moment. I am doing all this from my phone. Now that i did a reset I am limited at the moment till I get everything set back up.

Upvote 0
if people are still looking to do this (and remove the annoying double notification, if youre runninng handcent or chompsms on behold II), this is how i did it

First you have to gain root access (look that up)
then, get "root explorer" from the market
then, using root explorer go to your system/app and copy your stock TwMms.apk, go back and paste it at a safe location on your sdcard (as a backup)
Then, get the app posted here from emeryfan1988
Modified Mms.apk-Turn-off debug mode, stop application from lagging [Updated: 08/21] - xda-developer...
rename it to TwMms.apk and put it on your sdcard (of course NOT in the same location you pasted the original behold 2 twmms.apk)
Then, use root explorer to go to where you pasted the renamed app, long click on it and hit copy
then, go to system/app and hit paste.. (of course choose to replace the existing app)
This gives you access to all the old settings under messaging, where you can disable the phone sms notification and use just the one from handcent!!

..and behold.. the behold 2 can run handcent with no double notifications and MMS working!!!

if someone needs more detailed instructions, then post and I'll do the work (with link to all processes)

Upvote 0
if people are still looking to do this (and remove the annoying double notification, if youre runninng handcent or chompsms on behold II), this is how i did it

First you have to gain root access (look that up)
then, get "root explorer" from the market
then, using root explorer go to your system/app and copy your stock TwMms.apk, go back and paste it at a safe location on your sdcard (as a backup)
Then, get the app posted here from emeryfan1988
Modified Mms.apk-Turn-off debug mode, stop application from lagging [Updated: 08/21] - xda-developer...
rename it to TwMms.apk and put it on your sdcard (of course NOT in the same location you pasted the original behold 2 twmms.apk)
Then, use root explorer to go to where you pasted the renamed app, long click on it and hit copy
then, go to system/app and hit paste.. (of course choose to replace the existing app)
This gives you access to all the old settings under messaging, where you can disable the phone sms notification and use just the one from handcent!!

..and behold.. the behold 2 can run handcent with no double notifications and MMS working!!!

if someone needs more detailed instructions, then post and I'll do the work (with link to all processes)
You really don't need to post the same thing in multiple threads. It makes it hard to discuss/followup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones