• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to display count of unread notifications on app launcher icon like Facebook/WhatsApp

Amol K

Lurker
Sep 5, 2019
I want to show count of unread notifications on my app's launcher icon when the app in not opened. I saw some posts similar to this which suggests to use some 3rd party libraries to achieve this.

But when I checked the libraries, it does not seem to support all the devices.

Any idea on a generic solution which will work on all possible devices (with or without 3rd party libraries)?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Is this a launcher app you are creating?
No. This is not a launcher app. The app that I am trying to build is a simple service-oriented app where server side is sending FCM notifications about the new services. The notifications are received by the app and shown in system tray as well as in the list of notifications screen.

I want to show the count of unread notifications on app launcher icon like Facebook/WhatApp does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones