• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [how to]downgrade and root ICS

aslo Im at fastboot getvar mainver and it's returning with
mainver:
finished. total time:-0.00s
any suggestions? I saw the old fashioned version but dont quite understand it.. Should i rename the main version low to PH98IMDG then reboot to hboot for it find it on my sd card?
So i tried that renaming the file and putting it on the root of my sd card thats formated to FAT32, booted into hboot and nothing.. doesn't ask to update. I see it doing a process but its too fast to read(in green)So I don't know what else to do I can't get past fastboot getvar mainver. Am i able to skip that part and just flash the downgrade or will that result in something bad

Upvote 0
Thanks man for responding.. thats what I did I just went and picked up a 4gb micro for like $7.. Im currenlty backing up the system now and going proceed with the steps.. Let me get this str8.. we are downgrading so that means we can load older roms? for the specific firmware>

We are downgrading so we can achieve s off,wich lets us access all partitions,and makes rom flashing much easier. Htcdev is a PITA ;)

Reactions: lacoursiere18
Upvote 0
aslo Im at fastboot getvar mainver and it's returning with
mainver:
finished. total time:-0.00s
any suggestions? I saw the old fashioned version but dont quite understand it.. Should i rename the main version low to PH98IMDG then reboot to hboot for it find it on my sd card?
So i tried that renaming the file and putting it on the root of my sd card thats formated to FAT32, booted into hboot and nothing.. doesn't ask to update. I see it doing a process but its too fast to read(in green)So I don't know what else to do I can't get past fastboot getvar mainver. Am i able to skip that part and just flash the downgrade or will that result in something bad

See post #7 ;)

Upvote 0
See post #7 ;)

I saw that, and tried all of that..reflashing, redownloading, changing set low.zip to a PG05IMG.zip and not .zip.zip, pur it in the root of my ad card and nothing, flashed it through recovery as well, does it matter if the recovery doesn't find any md5 files.. can u just skip it if the fastboot getvar mainver shows up blank? I wouldnt think this would be the case.. I need help??

Upvote 0
I saw that, and tried all of that..reflashing, redownloading, changing set low.zip to a PG05IMG.zip and not .zip.zip, pur it in the root of my ad card and nothing, flashed it through recovery as well, does it matter if the recovery doesn't find any md5 files.. can u just skip it if the fastboot getvar mainver shows up blank? I wouldnt think this would be the case.. I need help??

as i explained in post 7 to the user in post 6 who had the same prollem as you,yes,you can skip that step. hopefully the downgrade will still flash since there is no main version for the phone to check.

where you have become confused is that the downgrade ruu culd be flashed from the sd card,not the set main version low zip.

IMO it is trickier to get the ruu to flash from the sd card,so before trying that,continue on with the guides directions to flash it. if you have trouble with the commands,copy and paste your entire cmd window,it will make troubleshooting considerably easier.

to copy from cmd: right click,click "mark",highlight everything in white. hit enter or right click. paste into the reply box here.

i work 10-7 EST but i will try and watch if you have trouble. :)

Upvote 0
as i explained in post 7 to the user in post 6 who had the same prollem as you,yes,you can skip that step. hopefully the downgrade will still flash since there is no main version for the phone to check.

where you have become confused is that the downgrade ruu culd be flashed from the sd card,not the set main version low zip.

IMO it is trickier to get the ruu to flash from the sd card,so before trying that,continue on with the guides directions to flash it. if you have trouble with the commands,copy and paste your entire cmd window,it will make troubleshooting considerably easier.

to copy from cmd: right click,click "mark",highlight everything in white. hit enter or right click. paste into the reply box here.

i work 10-7 EST but i will try and watch if you have trouble. :)

Ok thank you I will try to skip that step and see what happens.. You said not to flash the "set main version low.zip" from sd but thats what the directions say to do.. Ok nevermind I got what you were saying.. bc the set main verision low.zip does not contain img.. gotcha

Upvote 0
Ok thank you I will try to skip that step and see what happens.. You said not to flash the "set main version low.zip" from sd but thats what the directions say to do.. Ok nevermind I got what you were saying.. bc the set main verision low.zip does not contain img.. gotcha

just tried fastboot oem lock and it said
C:\miniadb_mecha>fastboot oem lock
... INFOLock successfully...
FAILED (status read failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 1.029s

C:\miniadb_mecha>

Do I continue?

Upvote 0
just tried fastboot oem lock and it said
C:\miniadb_mecha>fastboot oem lock
... INFOLock successfully...
FAILED (status read failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 1.029s

C:\miniadb_mecha>

Do I continue?

did your phone reboot?

that error is typical,as long as your phone rebooted,then yes,continue on. when you get back to fastboot to flash the downgrade,verify that you are relocked

if your phone just sat there,unplug it,use the option to "power down" and give it a few seconds. power on again to hboot,select fastboot from the menu,plug back i and try that command again. the hboot and fastboot screens need to display relocked in order for the ruu to flash :)

Upvote 0
did your phone reboot?

that error is typical,as long as your phone rebooted,then yes,continue on. when you get back to fastboot to flash the downgrade,verify that you are relocked

if your phone just sat there,unplug it,use the option to "power down" and give it a few seconds. power on again to hboot,select fastboot from the menu,plug back i and try that command again. the hboot and fastboot screens need to display relocked in order for the ruu to flash :)

Ok trying now.. It does say RELOCKED** SECURITY WARNING going to proceed I have re download the RUU zip bc i'm at work...

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Ok trying now.. It does say RELOCKED** SECURITY WARNING going to proceed I have re download the RUU zip bc i'm at work...

I believe it's working it's writing to it now.. THANK YOU so much for you help..

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)
finished. total time: 228.587s
Just got this do I reflash it?
Nevermind read the above again.. sorry.. reflashing now to complete

Upvote 0
I am still trying to understand what it actually does.
1.jpg

28.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

29.jpg

Htcdev is prollematic for the more serious rooter/rommer/modder. This is using htcdev as a reliable means of root to downgrade to factory firmware that is "s off-able" via the revolutionary tool.

The end result is s off wich allows easy Rom flashing and unrestricted access to all partitions

Upvote 0
Well after a bit of struggle, I think I have successfully downgraded to 2.3.4, but I can't see the screen at the moment so don't hold me to those exact digits. But ICS is definitely gone. Now the problem: before I could do the S-Off with revolutionary, VZW gave me a 30 second warning that it was about to upgrade OTA. I shut the phone off to prevent it.

How do I stop the OTA long enough to do the S-Off, and will that then prevent all future OTA attempts by vzw (that is my goal), or do I need to take another step? Is there a link to how to prevent OTA?

Thanks for your help
Mike

Upvote 0
Will try that...

Oops. Hboot went into beginning to parse and install the PG05 file. I declined letting it "install" again. I'm assuming it is my copy of the roll back because I stopped the OTA ICS before it could begin, but I am guessing. I'm at work now, so I'll download the HTC drivers etc and try to get into the phone and delete that img file, and then get back into hboot and try your suggest.

Thanks
Mike

Upvote 0
you can delete PG05IMG with a card reader and your PC. you could also try simply removing the sd card,then boot to hboot,then the stock recovery. i believe the sd does not even need to be present to run revolutionary,you wont really need it until you decide to install superuser,or install a rom :)

Upvote 0
Did exactly that. All seemed to go well. I was still "relocked" so I did the Revoluntionary/Clockworkmod update. That too seemed to go well. By the way, I also flashed the SU3.0 zip too. When the phone reboots, it hangs at the first white HTC screen. I was concerned that there was the "new and improved" super user zip in the first step of the process (in the other link), so I flashed that one even though in its name its a 1.2, and then did the reboot again. Phone still hangs on reboot at the same first white HTC screen. In hboot, it does now say revolutionary in pink at the top, and it is now s-off. And the clockworkmod screen seems to work fine too. But the phone won't boot to a point where I can use it. Any suggestions?

update:

I got into clockworkmod to poke around. I found "show log", the results are as follows:
checking for extendedcommand...
skipped extendedcommand file not found
failed to mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 (no such file or directory)
repeat of above line
can't remove '/cache/dalvik-cache': no such file or directory
same line repeats twice more
/tmp/recovery.log was copied to /sdcard/clockworkmod/recovery.log, Please open Rom Manager to report the issue.

Does this information help?

Thanks
Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones