• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to download directly to external hard drive in andriod? - Lenovo A7-30

FarhanRizvi

Lurker
Mar 14, 2017
Hi there! My tab's internal storage is 8 gb in which only 2 gb is free, today i have gained access to extremely high speed wifi so wanted to download some file which is about 11gb. I have my 1tb hard drive and my otg so i wanted to download that 11 gb file directly to that hard drive? But i don't know how. Please help me.

A problem with trying to use hard drives with OTG on mobile battery devices like tablets and phones can be power, if the hard drive is running from an auxiliary power source rather than drawing from the device's USB-OTG, it should work. What tablet is it, because apparently someone might have fried their Samsung Tab's USB port, by possibly overloading it with a hard drive.
http://androidforums.com/threads/otg-and-data-fail.1128165/

You need to make sure the drive is formatted as exFAT as well. FAT32 won't hold an 11GB file, and Android can't natively read and write Windows NTFS, which is the default for many drives. Also whatever you're using to do the download, make sure it's saving directly to the external media.

You might be better off by just using a USB flash drive, and saving to that, again for an 11GB file it must be formatted as exFAT, and not FAT32. If the tablet has micro-SD, you should be able to save to that instead.

There's just no way it can save to the internal storage, not in one go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi there! My tab's internal storage is 8 gb in which only 2 gb is free, today i have gained access to extremely high speed wifi so wanted to download some file which is about 11gb. I have my 1tb hard drive and my otg so i wanted to download that 11 gb file directly to that hard drive? But i don't know how. Please help me.

If you are on Marshmallow 6.0 +, have a custom recovery (TWRP) I have a very small, flashable .zip that will allow you to use secondary storage first.........
zach

Upvote 0
If you are on Marshmallow 6.0 +, have a custom recovery (TWRP) I have a very small, flashable .zip that will allow you to use secondary storage first.........
zach

If you happen to have this problem already worked out, but have a few moments, would like to ask you a few questions on OTG, using a standalone (portable) hardrive with Android........
Thanks........

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones