1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to dramatically improve your camera (picture and video) quality

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wlliam., Aug 6, 2010.

1. Android1

Android1 Member

Great find - just popped mine out from behind with a key.

Advertisement

2. adam_hilluk

adam_hilluk Well-Known Member

i want to pop mine off but im scared that i'll then scratch the actual lens??

what anyone think?

3. zardoz99

zardoz99 Newbie

Brasso is too harsh and coarse grained. Try the silver polish from the same manufacturer.

Z

4. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

I would try with a cotton swab like the other poster did.

5. matttye

matttye Android Expert

Buy some cheapo screen protectors and cut out a small circle to put over the lens.

2 x Martin Fields Screen Protectors for 99p - That's just the first result I found, haven't looked into whether they're perfectly clear or not, which is quite important if you're covering a camera lens with them.

6. _Zed_

_Zed_ Lurker

I hope this has been reported to HTC.

7. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Android Expert

I'll admit that using plastic not glass for the protector was a pretty bad decision by HTC, and not recessing it was even worse. But on the other end of the scale, it's entirely possible HTC put the 'chins' on their phones because some designer scribbling on a piece of paper realised that it would help prevent the screen getting scratched if the phone was put on its front by lifting the glass away from the surface. Or it could have been because his pencil slipped and they liked the look of it, we'll never know!

Designing such complicated items is difficult. The design and engineering teams will spot a huge number of problems and iron them out, but it's fair enough they occasionally let one through. Sure it's a pretty obvious one, but those are often the easiest to miss. ;)

8. tymbian

tymbian Newbie

I couldn't believe that my pictures were so blury after such a short amount of yime I've owned the phone 5 months poss. I bought a case straight away to protect the screen and thought sliding the phone in and out of the case every time has somehow managed to ruin the lens cover. Spittle and some hard rubbing with a cloth didn't shift any of the film that seemed to be covering it.
    Then I read this thread...........

So last night , with nothing to lose, I spent a minute with an electric tooth-brush and some Colgate Advanced White ( with micro cleaning oojamaflips ( other tooth-pastes are available )) polishing he lens cover.

IT WORKED A TREAT!!!

Thanks everyone

9. HTC desired

HTC desired Member

Thanks for your post so the majority of ppl are using a screen protector on the lens instead of the original cover??

10. Emmsie

Emmsie Newbie

Just tried the toothpaste and its deffo helped a bit :)

11. matttye

matttye Android Expert

Just pushed my plastic out with a pair of scissors and put a tiny square of screen protector over the camera lens, pics are really clear and I'll sleep easy knowing my lens isn't completely exposed :)

12. lekky

lekky Lover

not me, i like my lens too much to put something so soft in between it and possible ruin.

13. DMXXX

DMXXX Member

cosign Lekky

Might have to find myself a glass cutter and replace the damn thing with proper glass.... I'm probably too lazy for it though.

14. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member

The best option hands down for making your existing lens cover clear again is to use a product called Meguiars PlastX ....its main use is in the car detailing industry to clean any clear plastic on cars, mainly car headlamp lenses or soft top rear plastic glass etc etc.

It's an amazing product...u just squirt a bit out, rub it well into the plastic and it just totally removes any light scratches / haziness etc etc leaving a perfectly clear lens.

Its available in Halfords or any top automotive retailer (or obviously online) and is guaranteed to do the job.

15. ArrgHunter

ArrgHunter Lurker

well, what HTC was thinking?
    how come you can do these silly mistakes, you have a big competitor i.e. Apple.
    i think this is the real strength of Adnroid community to work togeather.

thanks guys,

16. antihippy

antihippy Newbie

I've been wondering why my photos had suddenly become so indistinct...

I actually wondered if it was a fault with the froyo upgrade and that's why I am here.

I did a test - with and without the cover. What a difference. Sigh. What a no-brainer. I'd not got around to ordering a protector for my phone and here I am. So what is everyone doing? Just popping out the little disk? I am not comofortable with doing this because it will leave a gap where fluff and sundry dust will get inside my phone (it normally sits in my shoulder bag).

17. lovemafone

lovemafone Newbie

thats mine popped outtttt!!!!

nice results ;)

18. extremejoe

extremejoe Well-Known Member

what does this mean - back cover off?

does it mean i have to take the battery cover off the desire? :thinking:

19. balders

balders Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, what would people be whiling to pay for a toughened glass (0.13 mm thick) replacement with a glass to plastic adhesive sticker?

nfsnfs, EmSixTeen and antihippy like this.
  20. UKseagull

UKseagull Android Enthusiast

I'd be interested, is it a possibility?

21. balders

balders Well-Known Member

Its possible, just looking at quantities and prices.

cosmic likes this.
  22. UKseagull

UKseagull Android Enthusiast

OK, fingers crossed that there's enough interest to get something produced. Remember to add me to the 'interested list'.

23. I'd be interested as well

24. lovemafone

lovemafone Newbie

I would buy one

25. paulcooper

paulcooper Android Enthusiast

That is really a massive difference, could have hidden your laundry BTW;)
    seriously though that is unbeleiveable difference

HTC Desire

Tags: