1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to easliy fix loose charge port?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Novice App User, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Novice App User

Hi,

Is there an easy way to fix a loose charge port? The power cord fits somewhat loosely in the port now, and I have to move it around a bit before it starts charging. And then the cord can sometimes slightly detach and stop charging, because it doesn't fit in the port snugly.

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

No. Tape works for awhile.
    HTH

3. olbriar

olbriar  

You might try a different charging cable. The culprit is most likely the charging port but it is possible it's the cable. The fix it shops can replace the port if it is faulty but I'd question the expenditure on a phone of that vintage.

4. MC6060

MC6060 Lurker

I agree with olbriar, try a different cable, I bought a braided charging cable (as my Samsung one started to break) and that holds in the charging port much more securely.

puppykickr likes this.
  5. Madd61

Madd61 Android Enthusiast

I had similar issues with a Nokia for a few months but they replaced the port, along with a charging board, under 2 year warranty.
    It was a known issue there; with the inferior metal prone to warping. That had the more rounded Type C port.

It may be worth seeing if a small (good) phone repair shop can reshape the port internally, but it may not be possible - or it's affecting the board the attached as well.

Always worth getting a quote from Motorola support.

6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

I will assume that because this phone is rather old that it is using a mini USB cord.

These can easily become bent and not make or maintain good connections anymore.

Take a look at the end that goes into the phone.

One side only has a seam, where the metal surround meets, and the otber side has a small clip on each end that securely latches the cord into the phone.
    See if these stick up good enough, or if one is lower than the other.

The cord end could be bent, and if in one direction this can make those little clips stay inside the end and not make contact at all.

You can replace the cable, or try to do minor repair to it.
    I have done a few things to cables, but be forewarned that any bending of any metal part will weaken it to some degree- therefore making future damage more probable.

Replacing the cable is the best thing to try.

You can try using a needle or precision screwdriver to pry those little clips out, so that they portrude more.

You can also slightly bend the end in the direction that makes the clips stick out more.

Generally, I do a combination of both, so that I don't go too far with the bending.

#6 puppykickr, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Madd61 likes this.
  7. Novice App User

Thanks to everyone for your help! I really appreciate it.

puppykickr likes this.

Motorola Moto G4 Forum

The Motorola Moto G4 release date was May 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 617 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2016
Release Date
Reviews