1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to enable add ringtone for app I am creating

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Pacman7, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Pacman7

Pacman7 Lurker

I am making a soundboard app and was wondering what I need to do to allow people who install it to be able to add the sounds as ringtones and notifications?

Is this only done while uploading app to Google Play Store, or do I need to do something when I create the app to allow users to install as ringtones and notifications?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

The files need to be copied to an appropriately named directory. Then the next time the phone reboots, it will scan those files and make them available as ringtones, notifications and alarms.

What is an appropriately named directory? On my phone everything in audio/ringtones is available as ringtones and everything in audio/notifications is available as notification and everything in audio/alarms is available add an alarm. I think perhaps any directories named ringtones and named notifications and named alarms will work, but I haven't experimented.

3. Pacman7

Pacman7 Lurker

Thanks, but what I was asking was what do I do to let them enable the files as ringtones? There must be something programming-wise that I need to do to enable this.