1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to enable CRT lockscreen animation! Update: Easier method, see below works on stock Monster 4!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RedBeansNrice, Apr 16, 2012.

1. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

I did this on my Admire, stock rooted, but this will work on any device running Gingerbread. Phone must be in debugging mode. Plug your phone into your computer. No need to mount sd.

What you will need:
    (Note: The linked files are for Windows 32bit users.)
    ----Working ADB setup-(guide here)
    ---- JDK & JRE Java stuff (here)
    ----Working apktool setup- (To set this up - Setup ADB first. Once you have ADB set up, extract these files[file1] [file2] onto your desktop, then cut and paste them into your platform-tools folder at c:/sdk/platform-tools.)
    ----Text editor (Notepad ++ here)
    ----7zip (here)

How I did it:
    1. Open a command prompt in windows (Start-->type cmd in search).
    2. Type: adb devices (to check if your phone is hooked up)
    3. Type: cd c:/sdk/platform-tools (this changes directory to platformtools)
    4. Type: adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk (this pulls framework-res.apk off your phone into your platform-tools folder)
    5. Type: apktool d framework-res.apk (this decompiles the framework to a folder called "framework-res" in your platformtools directory.)
    6. Open the folder "framework-res" and navigate to /res/values then right click the file bools.xml and open it in notepad ++)
    7. Search for "animateScreenLights" and change its value from true to false, then hit save and close the file.
    8. Back to the command prompt, type: apktool b framework-res (note: don't add .apk to the end of this command. Once you run the command wait till it says "building apk file..")
    9. Open the "framework-res" folder again. then go to /build/apk and right click and copy "resources.arsc"
    10. Go to the framework-res.apk file in your platformtools and right click and open with 7zip.
    11. Delete the "resources.arsc" file, then paste the one you copied from the framework res folder, then close the file.
    12. Now push it to the root of your sdcard, type:
    adb push framework-res.apk /sdcard/ (Note: you can try to push it through adb right to /system/framework using this command:
    adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk but I couldn't mount as rw so i said **** it and did it using root explorer.)
    13. Almost done. unplug your phone, open root explorer and go to the sd card.
    14. Long press on framework-res.apk and select move.
    15. Navigate to /system, mount as R/O, and paste it here. (Note: Why don't you just paste it right into /system/framework? Because you'll boot loop your phone dumb ass, Don't ****ing argue, just paste it in /system.)
    16. Long press the framework-res.apk you just pasted in /system, go to permissions and change it to rw-r-r, that is, check all the reads and check the first write, then hit ok.
    17. Long press the file again and select move. Now go to /system/framework and paste it here, when asked do you want to overwrite, hit yes. Then reboot the phone.
    18. Hang in there last 2 steps. Open root explorer again and go to /system, mount as R/O. Long press build.prop, scroll down and select "Open in text editor".
    19. Find the line "debug.sf.hw=1" and put a # sign in front of it, like this "#debug.sf.hw=1" don't input the quotations, duh. Save and exit.
    20. Reboot the phone, you're done. Make sure you go to android settings/display settings/animation and check "All animations." (Note: if you have "spare parts" app installed make sure your "Window animations" are set to normal speed.)

Swisaiahag and enigmadroid like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. JJ_Azevedo

JJ_Azevedo Android Enthusiast

is there any way to do this without doing all these steps???

3. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

No, as far as I know I'm the first one to get it working on the Admire and until someone writes a nice clean zip that we could flash for the Samsung admire, you'll have to do it manually. Sorry:(

4. mjlove209

mjlove209 Well-Known Member

5. Grandfinalex

Grandfinalex Well-Known Member

6. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

Yeah, there is an app, but its not tied to the power button. You have to use a widget to turn off the screen or the search button (lame). This other way is native, you just have to enable it.;)

7. Jdgui

Jdgui Well-Known Member

Theres zips in google do you think those will
    work?

8. mjlove209

I was just saying for those who dont want to do 20 steps and dont want to download a sdk and java, and for those who are not familiar wth adb. I personally dont even like that crt animation.

9. Grandfinalex

Grandfinalex Well-Known Member

The problem with that is is that the app is tacky. The point of the thread was to show how to enable the CRT. If you don't like it, it's understandable but its no reason to deter away from the OP. Actually, a lot of people had been looking forward to this prior to CM7.2

10. InFiD3ViL

InFiD3ViL Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have that app.

Its ok. Stupid how it isn't linked to the power button at all.

Cool thing is that you can add custom sounds to the animation though. Like for the fuzzy TV you can add static or whatever. For me, when I use it it says "Fus Ro Dah !"

11. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

Here is the modified file framework-res.apk that I pulled off of my phone Link. This is for samsung admire stock rom only. Just put it on the root of your sd card and go from step 13. Let me know if it works.

I don't mean to cause no drama here. I was just excited because i got this working and wanted to share. peace

baby_jesus and Jdgui like this.
  12. mjlove209

I think i got the picture already!? yes the app sucks. Isnt the op about crt animation? wouldn't it be appropriate to talk about crt animations and post whatever about this topic. i was just saying theres an app. and im not trying to "deter" or whatever you call it its more like your the one trying to deter that app lol which i dont care for shit. just trying to make it easier for those who do want to

13. Jdgui

Jdgui Well-Known Member

Omg it worked!:) thanks

14. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

I'm glad it worked for you :D.

15. InFiD3ViL

InFiD3ViL Well-Known Member

Hey RedBeans,

Would there be a way to add an audio (wav, ogg or mp3) to the animation sequence?

Just wondering, as I like to add audio that fits the theme. Like I would add a staticy effect to the TV shutdown ani or something to that effect.

16. Jdgui

Jdgui Well-Known Member

Ok ihave an issue now when i install the apk my monster themes goes away animations,settings, phone and thenotificatuon bar

17. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

@INF I dont know, try replacing the Lock.ogg in /system/media/audio/ui
    your new sound file must be named Lock.ogg and change permissions like the original. I personally don't use lock unlock sound, but thats where they are.

@Jd that apk is off of my phone which is stock odexed, I think monster is deodexed. If you want it on monster you'll have to do it manually(steps above). Maybe I'll flash monster and give it a go and see if I can get it to work.

Jdgui and InFiD3ViL like this.
  18. Jdgui

Jdgui Well-Known Member

19. JJ_Azevedo

JJ_Azevedo Android Enthusiast

is there any way to get the anamation when you turn your phone on?

20. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

Ok, I got it working on stock Monster 4. I had a hard time, because when they themed it, they edited the png's but didn't rebuild the resources.arsc file, so i couldn't decompile it without the file becoming corrupted. So I copied the monster png's to a temporary folder and loaded stock png's in their place and i was able to decompile and edit the bools.xml. I then replaced the resources.arsc file with the edited one and recompiled it. Once recompiled I deleted the stock png's and reloaded the monster png's.

I ain't no badass coder either, I'm just jo blo with an admire, a PC, and some balls, lol.

Here is the framework-res.apk for stock Monster 4 crt animation. This is for STOCK Monster 4 only. Paste it in the root of your sd card and begin at step 13 above. Let me know if it works.

Here is a Lock.ogg that i found online. It's a Crt tv off sound. If you want the sound, use root explorer and go to /system/media/audio/ui and rename your original Lock.ogg to Lock.ogg.bak and paste the new one above in the same folder and change the permissions to rw-r-r like the original. Make sure your screen lock sound setting is checked in android settings/sound settings for the sound to work. I know the sound comes after the animation but it makes sense from a physics stand point, because the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. Wtf am I babbling about, lol.

Peace to geno for Monster 4, I love it.

@admire samsung- yes its possible but it takes editing about 50 lines of smali code and i dont feel like doing it.;)

InFiD3ViL and Jdgui like this.
  21. Jdgui

Jdgui Well-Known Member

Ok now the battery icon dissapeared

22. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

@jd If you're still having trouble with the battery icon, I reuploaded the file and updated the link. Maybe the files got messed up during my upload the first time. Try again and report back, thanks

Jdgui likes this.
  23. Jdgui

Jdgui Well-Known Member

it worked thanks

24. If you link me to the file(s) that are the end result of your process, I have no problem with making a CWM flashable zip for you, should be able to bring this to a wider audience.

RedBeansNrice likes this.
  25. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I wish I knew how. I searched around but the guides are too confusing for me, lol.

Here is the framework-res.apk for stock odexed: Link

Here is the framework-res.apk for Monster 4: Link

:D

Samsung Admire Forum

The Samsung Admire release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1600mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews