• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to enable email sync on Samsung Galaxy S3

paraspy

Lurker
Nov 19, 2012
Hello all,

Ok - this is really mind boggling and as such I decided to make an account and ask all you experts about it.

I used to have an HTC Thunderbold and with its very poor battery, I had set my 5 emails to synch manually. So, whenever I felt like it, I would just go to settings and click on sync all.

Yesterday I got my Galaxy S3. I rooted it right away, and then plugged in all my email accounts. 5 accounts - 3 gmail, 1 yahoo, and 1 private. I set them up all under the stock app, because I don't like the gmail app and I don't want to download any other apps. That's how I had them set up with my Thunderbolt too.

Now, with the Galaxy S3, the battery is better, so I have set it to check for new emails/sync every few minutes during peak hours and every hour during off-peak hours. But I am just wasting time here - let me just get to the problem:

If I go to Settings -> Email (under Accounts), then all my email accounts are there but the little "loading circles" are greyed out and they all say "Sync disabled". I have a screenshot that I wanted to post but as a new user I am not allowed. So, the button at the bottom of that screen that reads "Sync all" simply doesn't do anything. I click it and it stops loading in a split second.

If I click on each individual account out of that list, then the only option I have is to Sync or Delete the account. If I go to the settings of each email account, then I see that "Sync Email" is checked on all of them, and I have edited the sync schedule for each of them too.... So... how is it that they all say "Sync disabled"??

Moreover, and most importantly, how can I change it so that when I click on Sync all, ALL my email accounts are actually synced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Depending on your firmware,

For ICS goto settings > accounts and sync

And your accounts are listed there just turn sync now on at the top to sync them all

For JB goto settings and there is a sub heading for accounts with your accounts listed right on that page, go into desired account and sync there.

The sync disabled shows if you have not enabled sync from the pull down notifications area, if you tap on sync there and it shows up green, then any peak/off peak sync settings should apply.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I'm new to Android. I set up my 2 yahoo and 2 hotmail accounts with the default email app. I have pop3 for the yahoo accounts. I want to delete or do as I please on my PHONE, but not have it affect the emails on the server. So when I delete an email on my phone I can still have the original email on mail.yahoo.com. I'm unsure what the sync settings do for the email accounts. My problem is that I set the peak times to every 15 minutes but it seems to only update sporadically when I open the app or I refresh it myself.

When I go to my email, go to settings: under the options for Data usage: Sync Email: there is a check mark.

But from the home screen I go to settings and under accounts I go to Email. There all the accounts say sync disabled.

Not understanding what's going on. Someone please help. It's very frustrating.

Upvote 0
To enable ALL EMAIL ACCOUNTS GO TO gmail icon> menu button> settings> select gmail account> under DATA USAGE turn Gmail sync on. This will enable syncing with all emails on ur Galaxy Note 2

The OP states he is not using the G-Mail app. This will not help him.

That said he may try dropping the Notification window and make sure Sync it turned on.

Upvote 0
First you have to had enabled Auto Data Sync

Settings -> Data usage -> push menu button -> Check "Auto sync data"

I had the same problem as the original post, and could not find an answer anywhere till I read this! I had sync set for every 15 minutes, regardless of peak time or not, and everywhere I looked had sync enabled. I never would have thought to check under data usage, let alone for a menu under that scree. Thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones