• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to: Enable fastboot and unlock bootloader, No flashing needed. WORKING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, When I Type In ADB REBOOT it say ERROR: device not found. Any help?

First try:
A different USB cable and/or a different USB port on your PC (like one on the back of the PC)
If that doesn't work then something is more than likely not setup on your PC properly.

What Android-SDK are you using? The full SDK or the Mini-SDK?
Does adb work and recognize the device?

You also need to make sure that all the drivers are installed on your PC for you device and even for every USB connection mode - MTP/PTP/ USB debuggin etc...

Also you can't reboot to fastboot from adb... Using "adb reboot bootloader" command.
So to reboot to fastboot, you need to use the key/button combination to access fastboot mode properly:

Power Off
Unplug USB
Hold Volume Up
Plug in USB

Make sure that you have the fastboot drivers also installed on your PC for you L90.
You can get them here - [GUIDE] Fastboot for L90 D415 | Optimus L90 | XDA Forums

As suggested in that thread, I'd recommend that you backup your LAF.img (Download mode), just in case you need to use the LG Flash Tool at some point.

Hope this helps and gets you started in the right direction... If you have any questions or need any help just let me know! Good luck!

Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0
I tried this method and it worked for me as well, i backed up my laf partition and was able to download a second copy just in case. I was able to download the SDK and Java SE and minimal ADB and fastboot app but i couldn't get the adb terminal to recognize my Volt. My solution was to get the LG United mobile driver and then use the unplug method mentioned here. I have the LG mobile driver needs it. Thanks for helping us to unlock our bootloader :D

Upvote 0
Without zeroing out Laf partition

1-Download and install rom installer...
2-Save this fastboot img to sd card ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzsQwTUZjTO5eHVPRDRiNXBpSzQ/view?usp=sharing )..its really just a trwp recovery that doesnt work on the Volt...
3-Using Rom Installer, make a backup of your recovery...
4-Now in Rom Installer, flash the fastboot img to recovery partition...
5-Reboot to recovery...Should give error but fastboot should be working

If you want recovery back just boot into phone and reflash your backup you made back to recovery partition using Rom Installer.

Upvote 0
It would be safer to fastboot boot laf.img to invoke download mode.

Be advised that as the firmware progresses for this device and people are trying to fastboot flash laf.img from older posted links, you MAY run into serious problems such as we've seen on the LG G2 where both fastboot and download mode are lost simultaneously. We discovered the key is to be sure you're using a matching aboot and laf. Meaning from the same firmware package.

If we fastboot boot a laf.img with a non matching aboot, it will simply fail to start download mode but no harm done.

This may or may not be a factor for you guys, probably too early to tell. Just my attempt to share knowledge across similar devices in the event it may be of assistance to my LG brethren.

Upvote 0
It would be safer to fastboot boot laf.img to invoke download mode.

Be advised that as the firmware progresses for this device and people are trying to fastboot flash laf.img from older posted links, you MAY run into serious problems such as we've seen on the LG G2 where both fastboot and download mode are lost simultaneously. We discovered the key is to be sure you're using a matching aboot and laf. Meaning from the same firmware package.

If we fastboot boot a laf.img with a non matching aboot, it will simply fail to start download mode but no harm done.

This may or may not be a factor for you guys, probably too early to tell. Just my attempt to share knowledge across similar devices in the event it may be of assistance to my LG brethren.

I like you. You should stick around.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Without zeroing out Laf partition

1-Download and install rom installer...
2-Save this fastboot img to sd card ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzsQwTUZjTO5eHVPRDRiNXBpSzQ/view?usp=sharing )..its really just a trwp recovery that doesnt work on the Volt...
3-Using Rom Installer, make a backup of your recovery...
4-Now in Rom Installer, flash the fastboot img to recovery partition...
5-Reboot to recovery...Should give error but fastboot should be working

If you want recovery back just boot into phone and reflash your backup you made back to recovery partition using Rom Installer.
I'm not sure if my last question was taken down? By following these instructions will this make it so you do not need to have a PC to flash the v4 update rooted. Sorry if I sound lost, I thank everyone ahead of time for all there help & work on our Volts.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if my last question was taken down? By following these instructions will this make it so you do not need to have a PC to flash the v4 update rooted. Sorry if I sound lost, I thank everyone ahead of time for all there help & work on our Volts.

You need a computer to run the fastboot commands

Reactions: mjhealy1978
Upvote 0
Proof:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
OKAY [ 0.012s]
finished. total time: 0.013s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [ 0.004s]
finished. total time: 0.005s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
OKAY [ 0.013s]
finished. total time: 0.014s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

This is all that differs after running fastboot oem unlock
2KZEyew.png

THERE IS NO REASON TO DO THIS YET WE DO NOT HAVE A WORKING RECOVERY OR A ROM

How it works:
[GUIDE] Fastboot for L90 D415 | Optimus L90 | XDA Forum

Because people had trouble and were cutting and pasting and didnt see a period after a file name:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img

Run the following code to zero out laf:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf

adb reboot
power off
hold volume up
plug in usb

You delete the laf partition, which forces fastboot mode and takes the place of download mode.

IF you want to return the phones download mode
fastboot flash laf laf.img

EDIT: you can skip flashing the laf.IMG back before exiting fastboot if you wanna leave fastboot mode enabled instead of download mode. But be careful as without download mode you might not be able to recover from a brick.

So think about what you feel is more useful. In fastboot you cannot flash /system/ back because it is too large.

Disclaimer: This is what i did and it worked. Try this at your own risk, always assume anything you do on your phone will result in a brick and it will be unrecoverable.
How do I get drivers so my PC I. Using knows my volt is there? I have a PC for a few minutes now!

Upvote 0
getting this error when zeroing out laf partition: \

C:\Users\Anthony\Desktop\ADB Drivers_Updated (1)\ADB Drivers_Updated>adb shell
shell@x5:/ $ su
su
root@x5:/ # dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img
c.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img <
45056+0 records in
45056+0 records out
23068672 bytes transferred in 4.654 secs (4956740 bytes/sec)
root@x5:/ # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf: write error: No space left on device

45057+0 records in
45056+0 records out
23068672 bytes transferred in 2.381 secs (9688648 bytes/sec)
1|root@x5:/ #

any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Just boots dl mode

" dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img
c.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img "

Is what you had typed in. It might be, or may not be the problem.

try

and then

The out of space error happens, i believe it happened on my phone. But it worked fine anyway. Its a pretty simple command so im not quite sure whats not letting it happen.

Upvote 0
" dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img
c.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img "

Is what you had typed in. It might be, or may not be the problem.

try

and then

The out of space error happens, i believe it happened on my phone. But it worked fine anyway. Its a pretty simple command so im not quite sure whats not letting it happen.

nope still nothing tried through fastboot and terminal emulator

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones