• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Enable Sideloading of Apps on Captivate

I just wanted to post that I followed the instructions from the OP *with* the additions from YellowGT0 and I'm not having any problems leaving USB Debug mode.

Also for anyone trying this it's:
chmod 777 /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db
^
Needs the space between chmod and 777 :)

* Also I used the app linked in the OP as well and had no problems installing it, so mission: accomplished I'd say

Upvote 0
Is there something else you need to do after the chmod 777 /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db?

Everything else worked fine, got root, installing non-market apps but still stuck in debug mode... Don't want to reset after I spent all day configuring her...
Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the confusion... Followed the steps a couple more times and it took. I look to be good to go.
Thanks to Maerlim! and to Yellow and Zilch for rounding it out...

Upvote 0
I have a feeling one of my problems was changing USB debugging on and off so much in the original procedure, which got the settings.db confused while it was being copied and edited. I'm going to try to simplify and see what happens.

Edit: The chmod 777 was the trick. I'm updating the original post. Thanks YellowGT0!

Upvote 0
I have a feeling my problem was changing USB debugging on and off so much in the original procedure, which got the settings.db confused while it was being copied and edited. I'm going to try to simplify and see what happens.

Simpler way is to use Root Explorer and just edit the file on PC and transfer it back. :)

Even though after I did that, I can't get my phone to power on now... Lovely.

Upvote 0
Yeah, how's that Root Explorer method working for ya? ;)

I used root explorer and followed the method listed on xda-developers and it worked perfectly fine for me. Took less than a minute.

I used root explorer to copy the settings.db file from the original folder to the sdcard. Then plugged phone into computer via usb. Mounted the sdcard. Used sqlitestudio to modify the one value. Unmounted and disconnected the phone from the computer. Used root explorer to copy or move that modified settings.db file from the sdcard back in to its original folder. Root explorer asked if I wanted to overwrite the existing file, said yes. Done. Rebooted phone and it worked. Tested by downloading some cheesy free game .apk from slideme.org. It installed and played perfectly.

Upvote 0
Stuck at "cp: not found". Downloaded busy box from the marketplace, opened it. It said "Status: Waiting...", so I hit install. Now it says "Status: Done!" Below that it says "Your phone is rooted. Busybox was found here: /system/xbin". Seems like it's installed? But still getting "cp: not found"

Edit: Uninstalled busybox, redownloaded it, opened it and hit install again, and "cp" was working fine, not sure what the problem was the first time. Got it all working and sideloading with ease.

Upvote 0
Your doing this through CMD on your PC right?

Worked great for me on my Mac. No need to install drivers though. Anyone with Mac issues let me know. I may be able to help.

This also works well for SQL on Mac:
SQLite Database Browser Download - Softpedia

I can install non-market apps now, but is there any way to just get the setting back too?

Are you talking about putting it back to stock?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones