• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Enable Sideloading of Apps on Captivate

I just registered the other day as I just picked up this phone. It's my first Android phone after 2+ years of being an iPhone user. Thank you so much for this! Instructions were great. I have very little experience using command line and no experience with the Android OS, but was able to do this with no problems. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hey everyone....

I'm an N1 user, but I just walked a friend thru installing the Captivate USB drivers and then using Sideload Wonder Machine to sideload the beta for Whatsapp on their phone. Can't imagine why anyone would opt to go thru any more trouble than that. It was silly easy!!! This person could not be less computer inclined, and I literally Google-Talked them thru it. Highly recommend as the method of choice for sticking it to AT&T... at least from an app loading standpoint!

YMMV.....but that's just my .02

Upvote 0
Hey everyone....

I'm an N1 user, but I just walked a friend thru installing the Captivate USB drivers and then using Sideload Wonder Machine to sideload the beta for Whatsapp on their phone. Can't imagine why anyone would opt to go thru any more trouble than that. It was silly easy!!! This person could not be less computer inclined, and I literally Google-Talked them thru it. Highly recommend as the method of choice for sticking it to AT&T... at least from an app loading standpoint!

YMMV.....but that's just my .02

Some of us go through hell and high water just to show it can be done either cause we dislike/hate what ATT does or just geeky enough to do it. Also, not being tethered to a desktop or laptop to load a non market app is what I am looking for which android central's app doesn't offer. Granted I have it and it is easy to use.

Upvote 0
cp: can't creat ' /sdcard/setting.db.backup': Read-only file system

What to do now?

If you can't write to /sdcard, it means that your phone is in "Mass Storage" mode. Mass Storage locks the sdcard for read/write only from the PC. Best way to go about this is to go to settings->Applications->USB settings then select "Ask on connection". Then when you plug in your USB cord, it'll pop up and ask you what you want. Just don't select anything, or hit the back key to clear that window. Also make sure you're in "USB Debug" mode.

Upvote 0
If you can't write to /sdcard, it means that your phone is in "Mass Storage" mode. Mass Storage locks the sdcard for read/write only from the PC. Best way to go about this is to go to settings->Applications->USB settings then select "Ask on connection". Then when you plug in your USB cord, it'll pop up and ask you what you want. Just don't select anything, or hit the back key to clear that window. Also make sure you're in "USB Debug" mode.
my phone was set to mass storage but on debugging. Will try tonight.thanks

Upvote 0
I tried using market enabler, but it SWM gave me the following error:
EOCD not found, not Zip
file 'payload\to_install.apk' is not a valid zip file
This was using the MarketEnabler_v3.0.8.apk that I downloaded from the link you posted.

*Edit - downloaded it again & it worked this time. I got it installed, but I don't think I'm using it correctly... I clicked on [us] T-Mobile in the settings list, then went back to the Actual tab & hit save current settings. Then I went to the market & searched for pdanet & still came up with nothing.

Upvote 0
I tried using market enabler, but it SWM gave me the following error:
This was using the MarketEnabler_v3.0.8.apk that I downloaded from the link you posted.

*Edit - downloaded it again & it worked this time. I got it installed, but I don't think I'm using it correctly... I clicked on [us] T-Mobile in the settings list, then went back to the Actual tab & hit save current settings. Then I went to the market & searched for pdanet & still came up with nothing.

yeah I did the same thing at first. to pick T-Mobile, it's a long hold.

Upvote 0
(When typing in adb pull \sdcard\settings.db ben/desktop)

When entering in step 11, it creates a folder in my android-sdk-windows file named Ben (my username) and inside of that new folder is a .db file named desktop instead of a new file called settings on my desktop in user ben. Am I typing in something wrong or is the command line missing something?
There is no file copied to my desktop.

Also, when I use the .db editor on the file it creates, I dont see a “install_non_market_apps” at all, there are only 3 Id lines under secure, none even remotely close.

any clues?

Upvote 0
(When typing in adb pull \sdcard\settings.db ben/desktop)

When entering in step 11, it creates a folder in my android-sdk-windows file named Ben (my username) and inside of that new folder is a .db file named desktop instead of a new file called settings on my desktop in user ben. Am I typing in something wrong or is the command line missing something?
There is no file copied to my desktop.

Also, when I use the .db editor on the file it creates, I dont see a

Attachments

• settingsPIC.jpg
    settingsPIC.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
type it exactly, dont put your actual username %userprofile%\desktop

The 4 tabs on top, select "browse and search"
View attachment 8587

When I type in exactly "adb pull /sdcard/settings.db %userprofile%\desktop"

I get a message saying Android Debugging Bridge with a list of different commands and what they do (kind of like a help guide), and of course, still no file on my desktop.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones