• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to enable Youtube Player instead of HTC Flash Player?

Hi all,

I recently upgraded from a G1 to a Desire.

One feature that's bugging me on the Desire, the default application for Youtube videos seems to be the HTC Flash Player, but I don't want to use this. I would prefer it if it opened with the Youtube player so I can get high quality video when viewing Youtube clips on WIFI - the HTC Flash Player has no settings or option for video quality improvement.

On my G1, every time I opened a link for Youtube (from e.g. the browser or Seesmic), it opened up the Youtube application as the default viewer.

I have tried to see if I can clear defaults in the Applications manager but there's nothing there. Any thought on how to change this would be appreciated

thanks
Steve

Hi all,

83 views and no responses, surely someone must know about this issue or how to resolve it?

The more I think about it, the more I think HTC has made this an unconfigurable option in Sense, am starting to wish I'd bought a Nexus instead of a Desire

The Incredible seems to have the same issue

Any thoughts.... anyone? Anyway I can reach out to HTC?

Steve

Upvote 0
I've found that with the stock browser it defaults to the HTC flash player. With Dolphin Browser HD, when you click on a youtube link it always asks you if you want to use HTC, Youtube or download the video, and gives you the option to set your choice as the default.

Additonally, with Dolphin installed, if I click on a youtube link from twitter, I get the option to open it with Dolphin/Stock Browser/Youtube

If the link has been shortened (even if it's a youtu.be link) it automatically directs me to the youtube video page, and once I click on the vid I again get a choice of ways to open the video.

Upvote 0
@tuatha,

Thanks for the tips on the Dolphin HD browser. I'm using the stock browser though, and that's where I can't choose which player to use. Once I get to the Youtube mobile page, it defaults to the stock HTC Flash player, no option to choose the Youtube player, and I cant reset defaults (have checked). It seems to be built into the stock browser :( I may try the Dolphin HD browser out. It's just irritating :( On my G1, it skipped the YT page altogether and went straight to the YT app, now its an extra step with no option to to choose a default :S

@nickc001

Thanks, yeah I know about that, its a great feature on the YT app, I just wish the HTC Flash player had that feature :S

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones