• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to ensure 720p resolution when transferring to computer

amerinamese

Aug 6, 2010
Hello all. I like to cut and splice my video files together to make one movie. I usually do this with Windows movie maker. That program doesn't recognize the .3gp format that the video files are in when I take them off the phone. So, I convert them to .avi. Is there a program that will ensure that the 720p quality is maintained through the conversion to .avi, or is there another format I should be converting them into? I can't remember the program I use now, but it doesn't look like it is staying in 720p quality. After making the complete video on windows movie maker I get an option to export the video in 720p, but if the input video is not 720p, the final output cannot be 720p right?

AVI is not a format, it's a container which contains various codecs (video and audio).

Any common codec out there will support 720p, so it's likely that whatever application you're using to convert this file is simply not giving you the options you need.

I'd simply use a different program, like Handbrake.

Also keep in mind that Windows Movie Maker is not exactly an advanced tool. It's offering 720p output no matter what size the video is. It can do this by upscaling the video (stretching it), but it won't look good, nothing like an actual 720p-sourced video.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones