• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to erase "recent" sms-mms logs in galaxy s4

Hello, everyone and a HAPPY 2014 to you all!!! For those who own a Samsung Galaxy S4 and finds him/herself clogged with "RECENT" SMS-MMS messages and cannot delete ANY of them like I used to have this problem, this post is for you:

1) Go to the phone pad (DON'T LAUGH NOR SHAKE YOUR HEAD), you know, the area where you dial your seven to ten-digit phone number.

2) At the top center of the glass screen, press the "RECENT" button.

3) Press the "glass" MAIN MENU button and hit the "VIEW" option.

4) Under this great option, press "ALL CALLS AND MESSAGES" and it'll automatically take you to the "RECENT" (NOT THE SAME "RECENT" TAB IN THE SMS-MMS text section of your smartphone).

5) PRESS THE "MAIN MENU" ONCE MORE AND SELECT "DELETE" AND VOLIA: SUCCESS! ! ! The pain-in-the-rear clogged "RECENT" logs ARE ALL FINALLY GONE! ! ! FOLKS AND MODERATORS: PLEASE PASS THE WORD TO SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 OWNERS! ! !

As you will see, when you return to the message texting area and actually click the "RECENT" tab, you'll find it is ANCIENT HISTORY! ! !

God Bless You All! ! !

Reactions: Podivin and MYKEL61
I'm talking about the Samsung Galaxy S4 for ALL network companies INCLUDING Verizon. "RECENT" is referred to ALL activity like RECEIVED, SENT AND MISSED CALLS along with RECIEVED AND SENT TEXT (SMS) - MMS MESSAGES, Dave. TRUST ME, when you text/mms AND place & receive calls, there's an area in the "Messaging" area and when you press the notepad w/pen logo in the messaging area, it'll take you the "NEW MESSAGE" area and when you press the "head" logo in the upper-right of the messaging area across from the "ENTER RECEIPENT" box, PRESS THE "RECENT" button and it'll take you to the history area where ALL recent activity AND AGAIN, TRUST ME, when you press the main menu glass that's bottom-left of your smartphone, NOT THE RECTANGULAR CENTER BUTTON, THERE'S NO OPTION MENU OR ANYTHING THAT POPS UP TO DELETE THESE MESSAGES DIRECTLY FROM THIS SCREEN and THAT'S WHY I was nice enough to post this solution AFTER I had dealt with this headache. :)

Upvote 0
I'm talking about the Samsung Galaxy S4 for ALL network companies INCLUDING Verizon. "RECENT" is referred to ALL activity like RECEIVED, SENT AND MISSED CALLS along with RECIEVED AND SENT TEXT (SMS) - MMS MESSAGES, Dave. TRUST ME, when you text/mms AND place & receive calls, there's an area in the "Messaging" area and when you press the notepad w/pen logo in the messaging area, it'll take you the "NEW MESSAGE" area and when you press the "head" logo in the upper-right of the messaging area across from the "ENTER RECEIPENT" box, PRESS THE "RECENT" button and it'll take you to the history area where ALL recent activity AND AGAIN, TRUST ME, when you press the main menu glass that's bottom-left of your smartphone, NOT THE RECTANGULAR CENTER BUTTON, THERE'S NO OPTION MENU OR ANYTHING THAT POPS UP TO DELETE THESE MESSAGES DIRECTLY FROM THIS SCREEN and THAT'S WHY I was nice enough to post this solution AFTER I had dealt with this headache. :)

phpThumb.php

Many are indebted to you I'm sure, but you will be surprised to hear that not everyone has this RECENT button as you describe, so I wouldn't be so swift in dismissing the responses from others. The closest I (and probably davesyd) have is a LOGS button. The way this works for me is when the menu key is pressed, check boxes are placed alongside each log entry, and any can be ticked for deletion. A check box is also placed at the top of the list and ticking this will tick/untick all logs in the list.

I have never had a recent button in any firmware version (UK) so it must be a regional/carrier-specific button to which you are referring but thanks for sharing your solution.

Upvote 0
I've never seen that "recent" thing you're talking about for messages on my S4 even before I flashed a custom rom. I checked my boyfriends stock unrooted S4 and it's definitely not on his either.

I think this may be either Samsung or carrier specific. Keep in mind that not all S4 users have Samsung software on their devices.

Keep up the good work with your HowTo's and tips... they are definitely appreciated!

Upvote 0
Hello, everyone and a HAPPY 2014 to you all!!! For those who own a Samsung Galaxy S4 and finds him/herself clogged with "RECENT" SMS-MMS messages and cannot delete ANY of them like I used to have this problem, this post is for you:

1) Go to the phone pad (DON'T LAUGH NOR SHAKE YOUR HEAD), you know, the area where you dial your seven to ten-digit phone number.

2) At the top center of the glass screen, press the "RECENT" button.

3) Press the "glass" MAIN MENU button and hit the "VIEW" option.

4) Under this great option, press "ALL CALLS AND MESSAGES" and it'll automatically take you to the "RECENT" (NOT THE SAME "RECENT" TAB IN THE SMS-MMS text section of your smartphone).

5) PRESS THE "MAIN MENU" ONCE MORE AND SELECT "DELETE" AND VOLIA: SUCCESS! ! ! The pain-in-the-rear clogged "RECENT" logs ARE ALL FINALLY GONE! ! ! FOLKS AND MODERATORS: PLEASE PASS THE WORD TO SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 OWNERS! ! !

As you will see, when you return to the message texting area and actually click the "RECENT" tab, you'll find it is ANCIENT HISTORY! ! !

God Bless You All! ! !
This doesn't work on many phones as they may not have a "RECENT" button. It is really simple to do by selecting the log button atop the screen and then looking quickly down in the white bottom margin on the left of the home button pressing that lit up little box that looks like an upside down in basket ? You get a new window that pops up at the bottom of the screen. It has 3 options, View, Delete, Call settings. Select Delete. Look back at the top of the list of logged recent calls and now there is a new box that says "Select All" Select that little box on the right of "Select All". Now way up at the very top you will see an option to "Cancel or Delete". Select "Delete" and poof, all your millions of logged recent Tf entries disappear. I believe this works on an S3 as well.

Upvote 0
Firstly, Press the green phone icon.

Secondly, press the logs icon.

Now you can choose which contact that you messaged or called and delete their logs/history.

Press which contact you would like to delete logs/history from.
Note: to the right you will see a number in brackets like this --> (3). This tells you how many logs are in the time frame and therefore, that is how many you can delete at one time.

Now you'll be in a screen that has a garbage bin I'm the top right corner. Press on the garbage bin icon.

Now you will have the choice to select all logs or individually select the logs.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
This method will allow you to 'select all' rather than only a day

I only know how to delete the log . I do not know how to retrieve them. :rolleyes: if you have forgotten to save a number and have chosen the wrong one to delete :goofydroid:, please do not come back annoyed at me. :mad:
  1. Go to main screen
  2. choose green phone icon
  3. choose logs
  4. touch the bottom lefthand of phone to get the 'upside down basket' icon
  5. choose view = give you option of what type of log you want ie all messages, recevied/sent messages, all calls etc.
  6. choose option e.g. all messages
  7. your chosen option is displayed under the contacts icon e.g. all messages
  8. touch the bottom lefthand of phone to get the 'upside down basket' icon
  9. choose delete
  10. Delete box is on the right hand side for that log :) OR Select all box on the right it will delete all history :):D
  11. Choose and press the button you want nothing will delete until...
  12. choose delete
  13. Delete log window appears showing how many you have chosen and informing you they will be deleted
  14. This is your last chance to change your mind :thinking:
  15. choose delete
Hope this helps everyone.;) I was getting so annoyed as I text alot to lots of people.
Thank you for all the postings above as put me on the right track. Ended up on you tube and nothing for Samsung 4 but there was for a newer samsung and once i found the 'upsidedown basket' option gave a menu....

2015 present to all those textaholics out there. I do hope it works on your model.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones