1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to extract PRL from a non-rooted CDMA desire?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gpshslax, Jun 9, 2011.

1. gpshslax

gpshslax Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2010
    Biologist
    Cushing, OK
    I need some help here. I got a warrenty replacement phone with the wrong PRL. I've called my companies tech support several times and I don't seem to be able to get the correct PRL over the air (either by active download or by push). The result is I'm constantly in roam mode, and although I'm not getting charged, my data is stuck in 1X and my battery sucks cause it's always searching for a "better" tower.

So my question is this: I have a CDMA desire with froyo and my wife has an identical phone with the correct PRL. I have already figured out how to import a PRL on my new phone via the EPST menu. I need to figure a way to pull the PRL from my wifes phone. The catch is, her phone is not rooted and she doesn't want my to. Is there a way to do this?

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Hi,

Might be worth editing the title to put CDMA in the title. Reason for this is most of us are GSM and don't know what a PRL is ;)

There will probably be a way to extract it from an RUU or PB99IMG.zip for your device but the only one I am aware of is:

Shipped ROMs

But being a GSM user I cannot confirm any of this, sorry.

3. gpshslax

None

Dec 3, 2010
    Biologist
    Cushing, OK
    Well ... I'm not sure how to edit the title. I can edit the message but the title doesn't appear to be something you can edit.

In any case. I just got off the phone with my carriers advanced tech support and subsequently data card tech support. As it turns out the data card tech support has PRL files they can send users to update automatically. Unfortunately he didn't have the most recent PRL available. He sent me the most recent version and I loaded it. I am at least no longer permanantly roaming. He said that he will will check into it and send me an updated file if he can get one.

In the mean time, my question still stands as my wife's phone has a more recent PRL I would like to extract if I can. I've found some info online that seems to indicate that the qualcom's QPST software is capable a backing up some OS file and subsequently extracting the PRL from those files. My worry is that is seems to come with a lot a warnings about bricking your phone (by inadvertantly eraseing the MEID hex). If I tried that and it killed my wife's phone I might end up shareing the phone's fate.

Additional suggestions are welcome.

4. PearD

PearD Newbie
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    WV
    I know my carrier has a special number sequence you can dial that unlocks your PRL and updates it for you. On US Cellular its *228. Not sure about what it is on Alltel, but maybe something to look into.

5. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    The answer to the original question is that you can't. You can get anything out of an official RUU but not from an unrooted handset.

Titles are edited by double clicking to the right of the title on the main forum page :)

6. gpshslax

None

Dec 3, 2010
    Biologist
    Cushing, OK
    It's the same code for all carrier (at least in the states) but you have to be in a coverage area where you can pick up native towers. When I do that I get verison (since all the towers in my area have been converted allready) and the update fails.

7. gpshslax

None

Dec 3, 2010
    Biologist
    Cushing, OK
    @SUroot

Thanks for the tip on changing the title.

Do you know if it's possible to pull the PRL from an official RUU (is that a thing?) if the phone is rooted? Also do you have any experience with QPST by any chance? Information seems to be that a phone doesn't have to be rooted for QPST but I can't find any post anywhere, by anyone with an unrooted phone that has tried it.

Tags: