1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to factory reset Google Pixel

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ItzHaunT, Sep 29, 2017.

1. ItzHaunT

ItzHaunT Member
    None

Sep 23, 2017
    Male
    U.S
    My friend said he bought a used Google Pixel off of someone that he knew. It was password locked when my friend received the phone. The guy supposedly gave him the password to unlock it, but it isn't correct. I have tried booting into recovery mode, but I think it won't allow it without the phone being unlocked. So, does anyone know how to factory reset it without the password?

Advertisement

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    If you perform a factory reset through recovery then you will trip the Factory Reset Protection and won't be able to set up the device until you've first logged in with the last Google Account associated with the device.

You're not going to be able to get around this on your own. You'll need to send your friend back to whoever he bought the phone from and get them to unlock it and perform a reset from within Android.

svim likes this.
  3. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Android Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2010
    Just to add to codesplice's post, to ensure you don't pass on a Factory Reset Protection device, you must remove your Google Account from the device before performing a factory reset. It's also worth removing any security you also set, such as screen patterns, fingerprints, etc, just to be thorough.

artbarb2525 and codesplice like this.