1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to find a lost phone with signal but no data

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by athickett, Oct 25, 2014.

1. athickett

athickett Lurker

Hey,

I have recently lost my phone while walking, sadly I have only just bought it and haven't got around to installing any location apps yet. I can call and text the phone and so I know it has signal and battery. Sadly it seems not to have enough signal to receive data as Google Device Manager can't locate it and I haven't been successful in installing android lost direct from Google Play.

I know the phone is in an area of roughly 600m x 100m, the ground is rocky and steep.

I am either wanting a way of the phone sending me it's exact location or making a very loud noise so I can listen for it as the ringtone doesn't seem to be loud enough.

Is it possible to send a command via sms?

I know this is a long shot and have exhausted all the options mentioned in previous posts and the sticky.

Regards

Adam

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Adam, Unfortunately Android Device Manager must be activated on the device before it will enable the options to locate and wipe your device. If you've never set it up, then that's why it's not finding it.

When yu say you can call and text your phone, how do you know it's successful? Voicemail ans SMS services are handled by your carrier and even if the device is off, they would appear to be sent. Not to be a gloomy gus, but your phone could be completely broken and calls and texts would still appear to go through.

If the ringtone wasn't muted, then I would just keep going that route expanding the area you're looking.

athickett likes this.
  3. athickett

athickett Lurker

Thanks for the quick response, I had assumed that the phone had no data connection as the device manager wasn't connecting to it. I will keep hoping that the app I have tried to remotely install eventually gets through but otherwise in that case it sounds like a walk and ring is the only way.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Good luck! I hope you find it :)
    I lost my phone once, I thought was in the house and i kept calling and calling and couldn't find it. After giving up, I was out walking the dogs and i heard a familiar ring. My phone ended up being a half mile away in the grass where i had dropped it while cleaning up after the dogs in the morning. I don't think i ever lost it after that. To this day i will randomly check my pocket to mnake sure my phone is still there. ;)

chadwick108 likes this.