• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to fix a bricked LG Optimus V with S firmware

Just wondering, but how did you brick it?
I'm not 100% sure. I went to bed with it plugged into a USB port on my computer. I woke up to it flashing between a black screen and the LG logo. I unplugged it and tried to turn it on - nothing happened. Turns out the battery was so low it wouldn't turn on. Or charge. What AndyOpie and I guessed was that sometime during the night the battery overcharged and then it tried to save itself by performing a factory restore. Which bricked it.

So last week after seeing that there was progress made on getting the S firmware to fix a brick I took the battery into my work, charged it manually using a battery charger, and lo and behold it would boot to the LG logo.

And here I am. I'm going to attempt to flash it some more today and see what happens. Last night the LG utility told me that "flashing is no longer possible due to a critical software failure"...so I don't know what's going to happen.

Upvote 0
Okay. So here's where I'm at. got root using gordita. flashed IHO backside on it. I discovered what the spc was a couple nights ago, but its sitting back home on my desk. So I was trying to check what it was again. the problem is that when I check my port, it says com7. Then I go into the cdma app and assign the port to com7. I click connect and in the bottom left corner I see that it says 'connected to com7 port successfully..' I then click the security tab>spc / user lock>LG Method. I click read and in the bottom left hand corner it says 'failed.. phone does not answer'. Why won't it tell me what the spc is anymore? What can I do to figure it out?

Upvote 0
Okay. So here's where I'm at. got root using gordita. flashed IHO backside on it. I discovered what the spc was a couple nights ago, but its sitting back home on my desk. So I was trying to check what it was again. the problem is that when I check my port, it says com7. Then I go into the cdma app and assign the port to com7. I click connect and in the bottom left corner I see that it says 'connected to com7 port successfully..' I then click the security tab>spc / user lock>LG Method. I click read and in the bottom left hand corner it says 'failed.. phone does not answer'. Why won't it tell me what the spc is anymore? What can I do to figure it out?

Try doing it while the phone is in recovery.

Upvote 0
It worked! I found out what my spc was by flashing zvd. now to root, flash bobzhome's recovery, flash zv9, and root again with Gordita. OR, could I rename the backup I made to 'update.zip', rename the zvd update to something like 'sprint', then go into stock recovery and click apply sdcard: update.zip? would that return me to rooted zv9?

Upvote 0
It worked! I found out what my spc was by flashing zvd. now to root, flash bobzhome's recovery, flash zv9, and root again with Gordita. OR, could I rename the backup I made to 'update.zip', rename the zvd update to something like 'sprint', then go into stock recovery and click apply sdcard: update.zip? would that return me to rooted zv9?

You can not rename your backup to update.zip. flash VirginMobile's update.zip then continue on with the guide and get 3G and mms to work. Then you can use Gordita to get a custom recovery, then you can flash what ever you want.

Upvote 0
Okay. So now I'm at the last screen. dfs. I don't quite understand what i'm supposed to do. copy everything from profile three and put it into profile two? Does that include the NAI, the Home Address, the Prim HA address, the Sec HA address, the AAA HEX and the HA HEX? All of those? or just all of them but the NAI and with the NAI you don't change the part before NAI?

Upvote 0
Well yeah, this thing has been a brick for a good two months. I'm just trying to get it to work so I can use it for media / games. So it's not a big deal if I can't get it to work.

Hey Jimmy, you are not alone. I've flash mine 30 or so times and always bak to the LG screen. I can't get into any other mode except Emergency mode. One strange thing is Mine will not go to the Charging Screen. Only to the LG screen when I plug in charger/data cable. I'm thinking it it toast.

Upvote 0
I finally managed to get mine to the point where I load DFS. Then, I was at the part where you copy the items from page 3 to page 1, and had to go to work. Apparently my cat hates my phone, as when I got back there was random crap in the fields, and somehow it had even been applied!

Is there a way to get the information back? I.E. can I restart the process at some point where the data will be written back, or can I pull the items from my wife's phone?
The xxxx@prov.vmobile.com line is still OK, just the bottom two are ruined.

Upvote 0
I finally managed to get mine to the point where I load DFS. Then, I was at the part where you copy the items from page 3 to page 1, and had to go to work. Apparently my cat hates my phone, as when I got back there was random crap in the fields, and somehow it had even been applied!

Is there a way to get the information back? I.E. can I restart the process at some point where the data will be written back, or can I pull the items from my wife's phone?
The xxxx@prov.vmobile.com line is still OK, just the bottom two are ruined.

Try to re-read them from the phone. Check on profile 3 to see if the aaa is the same as profile 1. Oh and your are supposed to paste them to to profile 2. Other than that, you can't just pull it of your wifes phone. Her aaa password will be different then yours.

Upvote 0
Unless there is another way to recover these things, or read them from some other method.

I tried re-flashing the VM update.zip, but haven't seen anything different.

The aaa password is writen to the phone when you activate it. Its different for each phone. Try using the activate app then re-read the phone. Oh and each time you turn the phone off you have to re-read the phone with LGNPST.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones