• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to: Fix Battery Life

Why does this work you may ask?
"Handover. Handover is the operation in which a device switches from one network to another or from one tower to another. Handover is the critical component that makes any cellular wireless network possible. Without handover, a user would have to manually select a new tower every time the user leaves the range of a tower. (WiFi is an example of a wireless network technology that doesn’t inherently support handover.) When the user travels outside the range of a WiFi network, the WiFi radio will just drop the connection. For cellular networks, the range of a tower is not very predictable due to factors outside of anyone’s control (like the weather, etc.)."

So basically, Wi-Fi is stable. Once you leave wi-fi, it just drops the connection, not hurting your battery. When using 3G/4G, it keeps switching from one tower to the next while moving, hurting your battery.

So wi-fi will not hurt you if you are moving around (much) and while in the same place, using wi-fi is better than 3G/4G.

Upvote 0
So are you saying just turn it on even if not using Wifi or are you saying use Wifi when ever you can?

I've heard turning it on when WiFi isn't present will cause the phone to search for WiFi, shortening battery life. My own experience, even in my marginal 4G signal area in my house, shows better battery life without WiFi and just going LTE. I'm getting excellent battery life.

That's not the first time I've noticed that. I had the same thing with my Bionic. So results may vary greatly.

Upvote 0
Using 4g but still have the wifi trick going....7 hours with 68% battery left. So those who keep saying they dont use wifi nor do they want to use it...what the original poster was saying is for some of us it seems just switching wifi option back on even if not using it (like me) has some how improved our battery life greatly when theoretically we're not sure it should.

Reactions: droidfan1
Upvote 0
I downloaded Juice Defender and will see how long tonight's full charge will go tomorrow. This should be interesting...

Without wi-fi trick, no LTE
8 hours.

Without wi-fi trick, LTE
5-6 hours.

With wi-fi trick, no LTE
10 hours

With wi-fi trick, LTE
8 hours

With juice defender ULTIMATE (Set to Aggressive), no LTE, no wi-fi trick
18 hours

There you have it folks :)

Reactions: Mikeyz and syntrix
Upvote 0
I'll have Juice Defender, wifi trick AND LTE so we'll see what happens :)

While I don't deny droidfan1's findings, but extra apps to use battery to try to conserve battery?

He has been getting awesome battery life!

I'm a user, so wifi, location services, gps, are always ON on my phone, and I get great life. I might decide to turn wifi off at the office, but really haven't and I'm on vacation. I'll just usually leave wifi on.

Upvote 0
There is some talk on the Google.com/mobile boards of G-Talk draining battery issue as well. I'm in the camp of getting 8 hours while not Wi-Fi if I'm lucky on the extended battery.

Tomorrow I'm going to try:
4G off
Disable GTalk
WiFi On
Uninstall Facebook App (Although in hindsight I could've just dsabled it :D )

and see the progress I get. But from what they're saying over in XDA as well, it seems like a bug fix due in 4.0.3 or 4.1 or whatever they push.

Upvote 0
If black screens save battery then some rooted folks may want to look in my signature.
When on surveillance I don't want my face and area lit up when communicating via SMS and Gmail. Lots of this goes on when the info is needed live.
I also use a plain black wall paper.

I am getting better and better battery life every day it seems. I rotate the OE and Extended every 2 days.

Loving This Phone More Each Day.

Upvote 0
There is some talk on the Google.com/mobile boards of G-Talk draining battery issue as well. I'm in the camp of getting 8 hours while not Wi-Fi if I'm lucky on the extended battery.

Juice Defender baby. It works. Really does.

I didn't have good luck with Juice Defender in my previous phones. So I'm reluctant to try it out on Nexus. I found 2X battery is gaining popularity recently. Has anyone tried it on Nexus?

Also after removing facebook, google+, using browser only for SNS, battery life seems much better.

I never did well with juice defender on any other phone. But on my galaxy nexus it is phenomenal. So I'm in your boat.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
Well, my test is turning into a success in a hurry:

6 hours off the charger and I still have 62% battery remaining! :eek: :D

That's with what I would call "moderate" use: a little web surfing, checking weather, a phone call or two, and nearly constant streaming of music to my bluetooth headset since I woke up.

• 3 home screens loaded with widgets
  • Wifi on
  • Juice Defender on Balanced

So I could conceivably go all day long without a charge!

I have experienced NO lapse of data connectivity... whether it's on wifi at home or 4G around town. If I want something, it's there with no waiting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones