• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Fix Soft Brick HTC M8?

galepeter

Lurker
Jun 17, 2014
I unlocked my Sprint HTC one m8 bootloader and root the phone. I did not yet has S-off. Somehow, I manage to soft brick it :)( i.e. stuck at htc logo screen) after trying to wipe out some data cache.

Without S-Off, I found an instruction online how you can sideload stock rom using TWRP recovery; however, my phone has Philz Touch recovery install. So, how do I remove Philz Touch and install TWRP for Sprint HTC M8 instead. Or may be help guide me to sideload rom using Philz Touch if that is possible.

Upvote 0
Thanks. That's very simple.

I used Squabbi's HTC One [M8] Toolkit and just switched recovery to TWRP. Do you have any recommended Sprint ROM that I can sideload with that will fix my soft-brick. I tried 0P6BIMG_m8whl_1.12.651.17_firmware.zip and it failed. Do the ROM like ViperOneM8 or Android Revolution HD can be sideloaded or I need to have my phone S-off first?

There is also another method of get the RUU and rename it to 0P6BIMG.zip and put that on the SD Card. It seem like that approach, the phone will automatically re-flash itself when reboot. Will this method work with S-On?

I found the following ROM: Stock_Rooted_Sprint_M8_HK_1.54.654.13 odexed.zip. Will this one work?

Upvote 0
Thanks. That's very simple.

I used Squabbi's HTC One [M8] Toolkit and just switched recovery to TWRP. Do you have any recommended Sprint ROM that I can sideload with that will fix my soft-brick. I tried 0P6BIMG_m8whl_1.12.651.17_firmware.zip and it failed. Do the ROM like ViperOneM8 or Android Revolution HD can be sideloaded or I need to have my phone S-off first?

There is also another method of get the RUU and rename it to 0P6BIMG.zip and put that on the SD Card. It seem like that approach, the phone will automatically re-flash itself when reboot. Will this method work with S-On?

I found the following ROM: Stock_Rooted_Sprint_M8_HK_1.54.654.13 odexed.zip. Will this one work?

That one should work fine,as would viper or arhd. It doesn't really matter what you sideload,as long as it is a sprint specific rom.

The 0P6BIMG method will work with s on,but will need to be an official,signed by HTC file,and to my knowledge,a full ruu does not exist yet,so your best bet at this point is to flash a rom.

Don't forget that m8 has a removable sd card option,so you can always simply insert a micro sd into your computer with a USB adapter,transfer the rom file,then insert the card into the phone. You can then flash the rom with the recovery menus normally and not need the sideload feature. :)

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Hmmm, this is interesting. I always thought that if you want to flash custom ROM, you would need to get your phone S-Off first. The only worry I have is trying all these methods and get my phone into a permanently bricked state.

What would be the possiblity for that (hard brick) to happen. What I *must* not do to prevent the hard brick. So far, all my sideload with various ROM has failed.

Upvote 0
Grab a microSD card and a usb card reader or the like. Connect the card to a computer and transfer the Rom.zip to the card. Insert the card into your phone. Boot into recovery, and select Install. From there scroll down until you find the Rom.zip you loaded, select it. Swipe to install. Reboot once finished. Phone should boot right up. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you all for helping.

My phone is up and running again. I guess it is better to have your phone S-On so you don't brick it up unless you know what you are doing. I don't know why some tutorial would want you to S-Off first (using firewater) before you can install custom ROM where in fact you do not need that at all.

Awesome!! :D

S-off makes some things easier, and it gives full control over the entire phone. You are correct though. You can really bork things if you aren't careful once you have S-off. Really glad you got it all sorted out!! :)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Thank you all for helping.

My phone is up and running again. I guess it is better to have your phone S-On so you don't brick it up unless you know what you are doing. I don't know why some tutorial would want you to S-Off first (using firewater) before you can install custom ROM where in fact you do not need that at all.

as granite said,s off has man advantages,and even offers more options for rescuing soft bricks.

your concern is valid,as writing the wrong thing to the wrong part of an s off phone can potentially brick it unrecoverably via conventional means(read: youll need to send it somewhere for a jtag service)

as long as you are able to use caution,and verify the integrity of your downloads, i personally feel s off is better. :)

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Grab a microSD card and a usb card reader or the like. Connect the card to a computer and transfer the Rom.zip to the card. Insert the card into your phone. Boot into recovery, and select Install. From there scroll down until you find the Rom.zip you loaded, select it. Swipe to install. Reboot once finished. Phone should boot right up. :)

What is something? that doesn't really help. I have literally the same problem he had, is there a way anyone could explain to me how to fix that.

What you need to do is follow what I have posted above in quotes. This will place a Rom.zip on your SD card and will allow you to flash it from recovery.

Your issue is, you've wiped your system, and now the phone does not have any software to boot when you turn it on. If you follow the above steps, it will install a rom and the phone will be able to boot up. :)

Upvote 0
What you need to do is follow what I have posted above in quotes. This will place a Rom.zip on your SD card and will allow you to flash it from recovery.

Your issue is, you've wiped your system, and now the phone does not have any software to boot when you turn it on. If you follow the above steps, it will install a rom and the phone will be able to boot up. :)

What rom can i use for my sprint htc

Upvote 0
What rom can i use for my sprint htc

Go here and download this Rom:
[ROM]RLS 2.1 BadSeed Customs M8 Stockish Rooted ROM 1.54.651.8 - xda-developers

It's pretty much stock and should load right up. Once downloaded place on the rot of your SD card and follow the instructions to flash from recovery.

If you want to try something more modified / customizable try this thread / Rom out: http://androidforums.com/one-m8-all...-4-2-sense-6-0-may-11th-1-7-0-htc-one-m8.html

Upvote 0
Go here and download this Rom:
[ROM]RLS 2.1 BadSeed Customs M8 Stockish Rooted ROM 1.54.651.8 - xda-developers

It's pretty much stock and should load right up. Once downloaded place on the rot of your SD card and follow the instructions to flash from recovery.

If you want to try something more modified / customizable try this thread / Rom out: http://androidforums.com/one-m8-all...-4-2-sense-6-0-may-11th-1-7-0-htc-one-m8.html

I did it and it said set_metadata_recursive some changes failed...

Upvote 0

Hmm, that's strange. :thinking:

Try and redownload the rom, or try the Viper rom I linked. You might have a bad download.

Once you do go into recovery this time, go under the "Wipe" menu, and swipe to factory reset. Then back out and select install, load the rom. See if that works.

Upvote 0

Was this the VIPER ROM?

If so,I think you may have d/l an update,instead of the full ROM.

I did that twice yesterday :pound: ,was fortunate enough to get back into recovery & load the entire ROM. :eek:

The link will take you to the download page & if the size of the d/l is less than 1.4GB (for the 1.7.1 version,latest FULL VIPER ROM),then it's merely the update/fix to a previous ROM.

Upvote 0
Was this the VIPER ROM?

If so,I think you may have d/l an update,instead of the full ROM.

I did that twice yesterday :pound: ,was fortunate enough to get back into recovery & load the entire ROM. :eek:

The link will take you to the download page & if the size of the d/l is less than 1.4GB (for the 1.7.1 version,latest FULL VIPER ROM),then it's merely the update/fix to a previous ROM.

Still says set_metadata_recursive some changes failed

Upvote 0
I got at the end

ViperOneM8 V1.7.1 install failed.
Installer Status: 7
Please Save the log file and post it in the ViperOne thread

What version of TWRP do you have installed?

There's an issue with a version that Cap'n Throwback released not flashing this rom. I thought he fixed it, but it might be the ultimate problem.

Let me look something up, in the mean time post up what TWRP you're using.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones