• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to "Fix" the 50% dreaded bug issue on almost all android devices.

Vmanisme

Android Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2010
Virginia
I made a post about LG Ally having this issue a few days ago and I've done heavy research on this issue since then and found that pretty much all 2.1 devices have this issue. Yes google is aware of it and I've seen topics where verizon and htc said that they were aware of it too and all 3 companies are working to fix it and push an update. I tested a "fix" to this issue and it seems to work. I don't know if it's permanent but so far my Ally is not showing this issue so let's get to fixing.

How to find out if your android device has this:
--Go to [Settings>About Phone>Battery Use>Cell Standby (if you don't have cell standby in there than you don't have this issue, but if you do doesn't mean you have it, keep reading)>if your time without service is above 50% than you have the bug.]

The fix that I've been testing:
--Open dial pad and dial *#*#4636#*#* (If Testing menu doesn't come up than click "Call" and it will come up)>Go to Phone information>Scroll down and you'll see preferred network type>click it and switch it to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

Now your issues should start going away and the time without service will slowly start decreasing. For the first few hours my time without service stayed at about 11% but than dropped to 0% in 24 hours.... You might need to do that step a few times before your phone makes that option a default one. Your phone might try to change preferred network type so check it every 2-3 hours on the first day.

Thanks for the fix but I can't use it because there is a bug in my Eclair bin which causes it to freeze when switching between 2G and 3G when in standby (official Acer bin not officially released by Acer, a leak). And AT&T reception is so bad, I get 3G in my bedroom but not my kitchen (it is very strong throughout the Houston area but not my house). As a result, I have to force 2G or 3G and cannot allow it to auto switch. What should I do?

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones